Oak question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electric_beer

Reaction score
Hey guys! Quick question, is it common for oak to cause a bit of bubbling (not obvious fermentation bubbling, but just...bubbles)? I added 1.5 oz of oak soaked in bourbon and now there are quite a few big bubbles on the top. I'm not one to be quick to think its an infection, but just curious if this is normal behavior.

Sweet, that's what I thought. Got a wee bit paranoid when I saw 3 BIG bubbles along with the usual little bubbles in there this morning. I kept telling myself not to worry, but its nice to have a second opinion.

Hop oils will create a little oil slick on top of the beer, this traps the bubbles sometimes.

...pretty sure its an infection now. Although at least its a brown, might make a decent sour brown. Gonna ride this beast out. Thank god its in a plastic bucket, I couldn't look at that freaky thing. Do you think I need to rack this thing into glass or is it cool to hang in the plastic for like 6 months? I'm not so sure I can use this bucket again...

Decided to kill the nasties. Racked it to the brew pot to stay at 150 for 30 mins. Now time to go back to the clean carboy...heres hoping those baddies are toast.

Latest posts

Back