Nukatap Faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
I have seen a bunch of talk recently about the new Nukataps that have been released and the options of having the stout faucet and other accessories is appealing. I currently have Perlick faucets and was wondering if anyone knows if I would be able to use the current shanks I have with the Nukataps?

I have seen a bunch of talk recently about the new Nukataps that have been released and the options of having the stout faucet and other accessories is appealing. I currently have Perlick faucets and was wondering if anyone knows if I would be able to use the current shanks I have with the Nukataps?

Shanks are standard across all faucets as far as I'm aware. I'm running both Perlick and Intertap on mine. My understanding in Nukatap is the new/redesigned Intertap.

Shanks are standard across all faucets as far as I'm aware. I'm running both Perlick and Intertap on mine. My understanding in Nukatap is the new/redesigned Intertap.

Yes it is the new design. I assumed they were pretty standard but wasn't 100%. Would hate to get rid of my Perlicks since they are still in perfect working condition and look great but I just like the thought of the accessories. And while the black Nukataps don't seem to be out yet, those look sharp.

I've been tempted to replace my Intertap Flow Control faucets with the NukaTaps. With the 4mm ID line I don't really need the flow control feature, and the reduce mass should help with my first poors being slightly foamy.

I'm going to have to see actual test results before even considering replacing my faucets with low mass versions.

I built my keezer last summer and started with the Intertap faucets and have universal shanks. Didn't bother with flow control or the fancy spring to self-close them. Bottom line for me: they work flawlessly. I get 0-2 drips after closing the tap and never more than 2 drips. Never thought of that first pour being overly foamy due to the faucets mass not allowing it to cool fast enough either. Honestly that seems to be marketing gimmick to me. My keezer is in a north carolina garage as well. No reason to even consider "upgrading" to the nukataps since the regular inter taps work fantastic for me and look great as well and seem to have very little "upgrades" to make it worth my while.

I'm still using a picnic tap...but need to transition to a tap. I even have the tap handles ready. Can't decide between Perlicks or these...like others have mentioned...that black matte looks sharp.

Seems to be a good review of the comparison between inter tap vs nukataps. Seems the actual shuttle itself is different which may help with the "flow" of beer overall. The author of this clip still uses the intertaps though.

watch

Possibly because the biggest benefit (faster cooling) is less of an issue for a brewery pouring all day. Oh, and because they've got over 20 taps they'd have to replace if they switched.

LOL you are right, he even stated the fact that they pour lots as well.

If its less mass (less material, stainless... moved to a cheaper printed material shuttle) then why is it more expensive 🤔 lol. I am totally happy with the 10 intertaps I own. I do have the springs to help remind guests to close the tap. They make great hardware for sure. I even swapped out my old perlicks on my portable rigs. That coupled with switching everything to evabarrier/duotight makes cleaning a snap!

I do however see a purpose for this thermal mass magic on my outdoor portable rigs. When camping it is possible for the temp difference to be pretty wild between my iced down keg and the 90 degree ambient air/ sun.

If I ever get a few extra bucks ill throw one on an order in sure.
Neil

I have been curious about these as well. To the OP, I would keep your Perlick faucets. I have vent- matics from over a decade ago and now that company is gone. I believe there is some business politics to blame. My worry is how long until intertap meets the same fate and support and parts disappear. Perlick has been king for 100 years, I don't think they are going anywhere. Just my .02$.

If its less mass (less material, stainless... moved to a cheaper printed material shuttle) then why is it more expensive 🤔 lol. I am totally happy with the 10 intertaps I own. I do have the springs to help remind guests to close the tap. They make great hardware for sure. I even swapped out my old perlicks on my portable rigs. That coupled with switching everything to evabarrier/duotight makes cleaning a snap!

I do however see a purpose for this thermal mass magic on my outdoor portable rigs. When camping it is possible for the temp difference to be pretty wild between my iced down keg and the 90 degree ambient air/ sun.

If I ever get a few extra bucks ill throw one on an order in sure.
Neil

I've built two kegerators for myself and one for my son over the years and have used 'standard' rear seal taps, replaced them with Perlicks, then upgraded with flow control Perkicks, then replaced some more with flow control Perlicks, but recently started having "issues" with lots of foaming (thus, wasted beer!).

It's reached the point of either rebuilding the Perlicks or replacing with these Nukataps. Never did a tap rebuild, so I'm on the fence as to which way to go forward.

Opinions?

Brooo Brother

I don't have the FC Perlicks, I have first-gen 525ss faucets, but it only takes about five minutes to replace all four O-rings (including the coupler O-ring).

fwiw, I'd be surprised that a sudden appearance of foam would be associated with a well-used FC faucet unless the compensator has a bunch of crud built up in it...

Cheers!

I don't doubt that a low mass faucet will have less foaming on the initial pour, but to what degree?

It would have to be a substantial difference for me to consider changing my faucets. All I've seen so far is marketing hype, with no test results to back up the hype.

Like I said, I don't doubt there is a difference, but how much? Is 10-20% difference in foaming on my first pour worth changing out my faucets? No way.

Is 50% difference worth it? Maybe, but I'm going to have to see some unbiased test results before I will believe a low mass faucet will make 50% difference in foam on the initial pour.

I have Intertap flow control faucets, in an 80F environment, serving 40F beer. For the first pour of the day I turn down the flow to minimum, and put only about 1-2oz in the glass. Of course it foams, there's no way it's not going to foam with a 40 degree temperature differential. While I am disposing of that first 1-2oz (down my throat), the faucet is being chilled because it's now full of 40F beer. I open the flow control all the way, and fill up the glass with no foaming problems.

Would a low mass faucet make a difference? Sure, but how much? Enough to justify the expense of new faucets? I don't see that happening, and I won't until I see some unbiased test results.

I don't have the FC Perlicks, I have first-gen 525ss faucets, but it only takes about five minutes to replace all four O-rings (including the coupler O-ring).

fwiw, I'd be surprised that a sudden appearance of foam would be associated with a well-used FC faucet unless the compensator has a bunch of crud built up in it...

Cheers!

The FC faucets do have a few extra O-rings from what I can tell, and I do believe that's where my problem may be. The two FC faucets that I have installed on the kegerator were purchased about a year ago when MoreBeer was having an inventory reduction-type sale and I had a coupon, so I picked them up to replace some older ones that were leaking a bit (I think at the front seal). Then recently, I started noticing a lot of splash-over in the drip tray and discovered quite a bit of collected beer in the drain dump container (old 2 liter soda bottle inside the kegerator). I'm inclined to think a rebuild might cure the problem, but I don't think this is normal wear-and-tear for a one year old set of faucets. I've still got two other FC Perlicks that aren't installed anywhere, and two original non-FC Perlicks, so I'm looking at six rebuilds if I go in that direction. A couple of $35 Nukatap replacements would be about break even.

I'm also wondering if my kegs might also be the cause of the foaming. For the last year or so I've been doing the wash/sanitize/NaMeta/purge-with-fermentation-CO2 exhausted gas method, then transferring under pressure into kegs. I realized that I haven't been disassembling the keg posts like I used to, and it occurred to me that I might be getting CO2 injected into the beer-out post from a worn post gasket just as the beer enters the beer line. Since all my spare kegs are purged and under pressure, I don't want to "break the seal" on any of them right now.

I really like the control I get from the flow control taps, but I am intrigued by the write-up and description of the Nukataps. Right now I'm leaning towards ordering one Nukatap and one rebuild kit for an FC Perlick. Since the kegerator is "down" for repairs, I've got to do something soon. This crap about actually buying beer is getting old quick! Plus SWMBO'd wants to know why I buy beer when I've got five kegs in the downstairs beer fridge.

So, I ordered a Nukatap plus a few accessories from MoreBeer, and a couple of rebuild kits for Perlick flow control faucets from Kegworks. Just hedging my bets.

I am curious about Intertap products since this is my first 'go' with their gear. I'm mostly wondering about the lever return springs, whether they work and whether they're worth it. I figured for $1.99 it was not a big deal. Does it work with other faucets (like Perlick)?

Any other "best practices" or is it just another faucet? Any helpful hints are appreciated.

Brooo Brother

any followup on this discussion? Did the Perlick rebuild help?

I'm in a similar situation. Been pressure-transferring beers and not breaking down kegs for cleaning. I'm also seeing some flow restrictions indicating gunk in the tap (like a "dead spot" in the beer flow)

I'm considering adding two more taps and going with the Nukataps for beer and keeping the Perlicks FC's for cider and sparkling water

I ended up ordering 4 Nukataps from Adventures In Homebrewing when they had their 10% off sale. I also got 4 of the Intertap closing springs.

I had one keg empty so I swapped the tap over, however I haven't tapped anything on that line yet so haven't poored from one yet.

I can confirm that the Intertap spring works with the Nukatap and Krome Dispense stainless shank.

I ended up ordering 4 Nukataps from Adventures In Homebrewing when they had their 10% off sale. I also got 4 of the Intertap closing springs.

I had one keg empty so I swapped the tap over, however I haven't tapped anything on that line yet so haven't poored from one yet.

I can confirm that the Intertap spring works with the Nukatap and Krome Dispense stainless shank.

wow this is the first time I've ever heard of a "closing spring" so I googled it. Do people really have guests who pour a beer and just walk away leaving the tap open?! That would be an immediate kegerator ban in my house!

Yeah, that happens - not often, but enough to stick the Intertap springs behind my 6 faucets.
Perhaps more valuable, they help prevent inadvertent spills from adjacent taps when bumped by novice pourers, and keep the faucets closed when I swing my keezer lid up and down...

Cheers!

Yeah, that happens - not often, but enough to stick the Intertap springs behind my 6 faucets.
Perhaps more valuable, they help prevent inadvertent spills from adjacent taps when bumped by novice pourers, and keep the faucets closed when I swing my keezer lid up and down...

Cheers!

I added them mainly to help prevent other taps getting bumped open, as you said.

I finally added a spring to my Nukatap after 5 months of use. On a few occasions I would return to beer fridge only to find that the tap was leaking. Worst occurrence was when my cat jumped on top of the fridge and bumped the tap open which emptied 10 or more litres of beer on to the floor.

I've poured a few pints from my tap with the Nukatap. My keg of NEIPA on the line is a little undercarb'd, but so far it seems to pour just as well as my Intertap Flow Control Faucets (I have the flow control wide open on all of mine).

any follow up from anyone else on this? I have intertaps that are a month old. I get the first beer head pour but I have a unique option to upgrade to Nukataps at no cost and was looking for reviews on it.

any follow up from anyone else on this? I have intertaps that are a month old. I get the first beer head pour but I have a unique option to upgrade to Nukataps at no cost and was looking for reviews on it.

I changed over two of my Intertap Flow Control faucets so far. I don't see a huge difference. If I had to guess it takes slightly less on the first poor to cool the faucet. I also added the return springs in which I really like so I don't have to worry about something leaving the tap open.

sounds like I have first world problems then?

Utilizing Eva Barrier 5' lines on each tap, first beer off gets a finger of "extra" head on the first pour typically, then if I pour again off that spout within an hour it happens again and I am using a tower cooling fan...

I kinda have the same issue- I have two Intertap Flow control faucets and one CMB faucet running 4mm EVA.

My first pour using the Intertap faucets does produce some foam. What i have been doing is make a couple ounces to get the beer flowing, drink then pour my pint and that has reduced the amount of foam. I've tried adjusting the flow but it really doesnt help initially. The CMB pours way better, less foam.

I'm thinking about switching out the Intertaps for CMB or Nukatap.

Ive been looking at Nukatap faucets to replace my picnic taps on my keezer. I have never gotten any foam through my picnic taps. Is that normal or am I just lucky?

Depends how you have it setup, if your lines are inside your keezer and you open up the top to grab the picnic tap and pour and put them back then you wouldn't have foaming issues.

The issue with taps in general are the tap portion being at room ambient temperature, lets say 70 degrees in your room. When you go to pour from your tap, the Co2 is pushing 37-40 degree beer into a faucet that is at 70 degrees therefore creating foam. Now lets say you pour 1 pint that way, now your faucet is "cooled" down from the 70 degrees closer to the beers temp so if you pour another immediately or within 15 minutes life is good but remember that the faucet is going to start warming back up after every pour.

Depends how you have it setup, if your lines are inside your keezer and you open up the top to grab the picnic tap and pour and put them back then you wouldn't have foaming issues.

The issue with taps in general are the tap portion being at room ambient temperature, lets say 70 degrees in your room. When you go to pour from your tap, the Co2 is pushing 37-40 degree beer into a faucet that is at 70 degrees therefore creating foam. Now lets say you pour 1 pint that way, now your faucet is "cooled" down from the 70 degrees closer to the beers temp so if you pour another immediately or within 15 minutes life is good but remember that the faucet is going to start warming back up after every pour.
ahhh. Good info. Thank you.

I kinda have the same issue- I have two Intertap Flow control faucets and one CMB faucet running 4mm EVA.

My first pour using the Intertap faucets does produce some foam. What i have been doing is make a couple ounces to get the beer flowing, drink then pour my pint and that has reduced the amount of foam. I've tried adjusting the flow but it really doesnt help initially. The CMB pours way better, less foam.

I'm thinking about switching out the Intertaps for CMB or Nukatap.

I was once told by a bartender that the trick to getting a foam-free pour is to quickly open and shut a tap 3 or 4 times to purge any trapped CO2. It also dissipates any foam and stale beer from the line directly adjacent to the tap. It works pretty well, especially for a tap that hasn't been pulled recently (within the past hour or so). Give it a try.

Brooo Brother

I replaced my two faucets with Nukataps and 5.5' of 4mm EVA tubing which was a standard length from MoreBeer.
Been using them for about 2 months and felt I had less foam than before but I thought it could be better. I put another 5.5' of 4mm EVA tubing in line and now could not be happier.

I was once told by a bartender that the trick to getting a foam-free pour is to quickly open and shut a tap 3 or 4 times to purge any trapped CO2. It also dissipates any foam and stale beer from the line directly adjacent to the tap. It works pretty well, especially for a tap that hasn't been pulled recently (within the past hour or so). Give it a try.

Brooo Brother
I tried this last night and it worked. Still should not have to do it that way if the lines were correctly balanced but it worked.

I replaced my two faucets with Nukataps and 5.5' of 4mm EVA tubing which was a standard length from MoreBeer.
Been using them for about 2 months and felt I had less foam than before but I thought it could be better. I put another 5.5' of 4mm EVA tubing in line and now could not be happier.
So you are using 11' per line? What did you use to connect the two lines?

I am curious @gohoos85 , so your liquid line is NOW 11'? See I was wondering about extending them. From the Komos kegerator they give you 5.5' standard for each tap, I assumed that was gospel with EVA Barrier so I have my Light Lager pouring at 12PSI.

SO if I am reading it correctly, you did not really see a difference moving to the Nukataps but saw a difference when doubling your line length? How much did you have to change your line from 5.5' to 11'?

I initially had around 9' of eva tubing in my kegerator, I am probably closer to 4.5' or 5' now. Sure I did not pour too much foam with the longer line, but it also took way longer to pour a glass too! I am happy with the speed of the pour now, and the foam level is good once the tap is cooled down.

When I have not poured for a while, I will open and close quickly (1/2 a second to a second) and then wait about three or four seconds and do it again to get some cold beer in the tap to help cool the tap down. Drink the foamy amount in the glass after about 4 or 5 times of doing that and the rest pours pretty good for the first pour. It is all about getting the tap cooled down for the first one in a while.

So you are using 11' per line? What did you use to connect the two lines?
I have 11' per line. I started using Duotight connectors and 4mm EVA tubing when I switched faucets. Duotight makes a connector to join tubing. I like the Duotight connectors because they work and have a good price point.

I am curious @gohoos85 , so your liquid line is NOW 11'? See I was wondering about extending them. From the Komos kegerator they give you 5.5' standard for each tap, I assumed that was gospel with EVA Barrier so I have my Light Lager pouring at 12PSI.

SO if I am reading it correctly, you did not really see a difference moving to the Nukataps but saw a difference when doubling your line length? How much did you have to change your line from 5.5' to 11'?
I did see a difference with the Nukataps. Much better than my old generic faucets. Was listening to a Brulosophy podcast and one of the guys said he uses something like 14' of 4mm EVA tubing so I decided to double my length. He indicated that it takes a little more time to pour the beer. At 11' I found there is not much difference in pour lengths. I'd rather take a few more seconds and get less foam.

Back