Nugget ornamental?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
I stopped at the farm supply store after work today, perusing the discount plants and I noticed they sold Nugget Ornamental hops. Just curious - these would produce a nugget hop, right? Is there anything different about an ornamental other than they can charge more for it?

Eh... I'd assume it's just a normal Nugget hop that he's trying to sell as an ornamental to get people to buy it.

Nugget's great, though. ;)

Would male hops be sold as "ornamental"?
Is there such a thing as a male Nugget hop? That sounds dirty.

No, and no.

Technically, a male could be sold as an ornamental, but none of the "ornamental varieties" I know are male. I'm not aware of any male hops for sale, really.

Did you ask anybody who worked there? If di, what did they say? If not, why not?

Good odds of the employees being utterly clueless about it, though no harm in asking. XD

(Edit: though on second thought, sometimes clueless employees tend to improvise rather dubious information)

Mine were purchased as nugget ornamentals. Same same from what I can tell and maybe label it as ornamental because actual source of rhizome is not known? If it had some disease and you plant it in a hop yard they are not liable?
If you buy them now they will not be that big but if planted in good soil and fertilized these beasts will perk up and grow. I do know that they make a tasty smash beer.

Nugget is an increasingly unpopular hop for brewing. This sounds like fields trying to unload their nugget rhizomes to the ornamental crowd where they might sell better than for brewers. I used to have a nugget plant (that died moving houses) and it is an easy grower. Not as aggressive as cascade or chinook but grows in reliably and produces hops that work well for teas, pillows, etc. that people often use from ornamental plants.

Back