Nugget Hop IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhousebrew

Reaction score
Someone posted something about a Grateful Dead collaboration beer between the Dead and Dog Fish Head that was asking for input from fans on what the special ingredient should be and it got me thinking the obvious answer is weed. It should be weed. But, I know that is not feasible so in it's place I thought of some dank Nugget hops. Should be a suitable replacement yes?

So, that got me thinking that I've got a second year Nugget plant in the back yard. And that got me thinking that I have this plant but have never even really used Nugget hops. So, long story short (well, not really because I've been rambling on for a while now and am only make this worse by explain this) I am making a all Nugget IPA.

Tossed together a recipe on the fly with roughly 85% Pale Malt, 10% Munich and 5% C-20. Gonna do additions at 60,15,10,5,0 and a dryhop.

What should I be expecting? Anyone do anything like this before?

I wouldn't call Nugget dank per se; they are more mild and herbaceous with a backnote of peachy fruit in there. Dank marijuana notes would be more reminiscent of Apollo, Summit, or Columbus.

The adjustments I would make to the recipe idea, if a dank WCIPA is the goal, would be as follows:

1.068-1.071 OG
<1.012 FG
5-6% Corn Sugar
4-6% Light Munich
4-6% C20
3-4% Carapils
Mash between 148-150F
WLP090 Starter w/+80% attenuation
60/30/0/DH Schedule (too much late boil hopbursting gives you more fruity/juice-like & less dank)
Whirlpool with a huge mix of fruity & dank hops, such as Citra, Amarillo, Nugget, Apollo, Summit, Columbus
Staged dryhop with a huge mix dank & piney hops, such as Simcoe, Apollo, Chinook, Summit, Columbus

Damn! And thus shows my inexperience with my dank nugget hops. I thought I remembered reading that they were along the lines of Colombus or Chinook. Oh well, I'm going to get a feeling for them anyway.

I wouldn't use backyard hops for bittering, the alpha-acid % is too unpredictable. But you can blast away at the end. As noted, Nugget is pretty mild. I did an all-Nugget amber once; it was smooth and tasty.

Back