Nugget bittering - Tettnang flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedspointbrew

Brewing out in left field, with golf clubs
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The recipe for the 3-gal Oktoberfest-style ale I'm brewing this weekend is using .75 oz Nugget for bittering @ 60. I have a 1/2 oz Tettnang leftover from a Weiss that I brewed earlier in the summer that I was thinking of using for flavoring / aroma. If anyone has any thoughts on whether this is adviseable or necessary, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

You can't go wrong with Tettnang. It is not overpowering and assertive. Good for making balanced brews. My favorite non-English hop. Go for it. :thumbsup:

Tettnang is a great hop, and Nugget is a really solid, neutral bittering hop. They'll play nice together, but my go-to bittering hop in this particular beer would be Hallertau Nugget, derived from the parent Noble hop family of Hallertau varietals. Like Nugget, it's a higher AA%, mostly neutral hop, great for a festbier. Prost!

Tettnang is a great hop, and Nugget is a really solid, neutral bittering hop. They'll play nice together, but my go-to bittering hop in this particular beer would be Hallertau Nugget, derived from the parent Noble hop family of Hallertau varietals. Like Nugget, it's a higher AA%, mostly neutral hop, great for a festbier. Prost!

Isn't Hallertauer Nugget just US-bred Nugget (derived from Brewer's Gold) grown in Hallertau? Small differences due to terroir, I'm sure, but it's the same stuff.

Latest posts

Back