Not Your Grandad's Foamy Keg - Weird Issue - I Promise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinemarten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I've read it all. I've even posted about this previously. Now I've narrowed the issue down some. I have a well balanced system with proper line lengths and while I do have flow control faucets, I get great pours without touching the control. Keezer is at 36°F and this beer is on 11PSI. I do love the control when using a beer gun. The foam issue lasts for about the first four seconds of every pour and it pulsates. Foam, clear beer, foam, clear beer, and then perfect flow that would work out to an 11 second pint. The pulsating is weird. I've seen this three times before. The one variable that's always the same when this happens is the beer is a Bell's commercial keg. I suppose the coupler is also constant, but loads of other commercial kegs have no issues with those couplers. I swapped this tap and coupler to a different commercial keg and had no issues. Swapped the swivel flare to a ball lock and put on a homebrew keg and no issues. I googled Bell's, called the number and actually was connected to someone in packaging! This was actually the second time I've called them about this and they were pretty cool about it so, skoal Bell's! But I was just told that's odd. Serving pressure should be around 2.4 BAR and that shouldn't be happening. This keg has been in the keezer undisturbed for two weeks. It's extremely odd to me this only happens with kegs from a single source. Any thoughts folks?

That's weird. Have you ever had a good Bell keg? Maybe it has something to do with their kegs or how they are manufactured?

Look really closely at the seal on the keg valve. Bet you there's a nick or tear or some dry rot on the gasket. That's the barrier between gas and liquid, and any damage allows gas into the liquid line.

They don't last forever, and breweries are supposed to do maintenance. May have slipped through the cracks.

Back