Not the typical first timers question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BeerEagle said:
Ok I'll bite. Who mikedavid001?

He was this know-it-all who got banned for being a jerk. Then he went on YouTube and posted these ridiculous videos about how to make a starter and all sorts of other crap. There's a long thread on it somewhere on HBT. It's under something like "yeast starter saga."

He was this know-it-all who got banned for being a jerk. Then he went on YouTube and posted these ridiculous videos about how to make a starter and all sorts of other crap. There's a long thread on it somewhere on HBT. It's under something like "yeast starter saga."

Cool, I'll go search. Thanks

Oh HELL NO! We are NOT going down THAT road!

Now back to the OP. I seriously doubt he's going to be back on the site. Not sure that's a bad thing, but unless he was honestly trying to insult and get banned, there had to be a misunderstanding.

So, OP, you did not list a kettle big enough for full boils, which you will need for doing AG (unless you do small batches, then a smaller kettle is fine) and you really should have a WORT chiller if you are doing full boils.

Plus, you are missing many, many items from your list that most people have. We can't read your mind. Just going by yo8ur question and your list, you got the same answer on the very next post that ANY one of us would have given, the obvious 2 items that nearly every AG brewer would use.

Unless a moderator banned you, I say come back and try again and all will be forgiven. There is a lot of great brewing information to be had here, and lots of other fun stuff if you are willing to be reasonable.

I hope this dude comes back. I'd love to see more of this guy. There just isn't enough trolling on this site to entertain us all!

PLEASE, Someone tell me he isn't really from Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had nothing but good experiences here and saw nothing wrong with the answer he got!

I'm with you aerod1, i'm ashamed to live in the same state as the OP. Truly ashamed for his existence.

I wonder if this had anything to do with why he jumped down Jaybird's throat... seemed friendly enough there, but he was already verging on "Stop patronizing me, I am more awesomer than you!"

I think it's just a young kid who's a bit full of himself. Hell, I'm a bit full of myself too ;) so I guess I empathize. A little. The others are right, if he/she wants to come back, please do and we'll try not to pick on you for the little freakout this morning.

Jaybird, good job stating the obvious... I wouldn't say anything but this but you are treating me like a complete moron not even reading my post. If you have something to say after reading, go ahead. yes I know the primary should go for a couple weeks before transferring... yes I know it's an extraneous step, but goddamit I have the equipment for it and so I'm going to do it. I also know for another 100 dollars I can have at least a semi-effective tun and a fermentation cooler allowing me to do at least some all grain brews. And I will try them all. Will some be skunk? yes. will I still drink them. hell yeah. I do what I do... but then again I'm tired of feeding the troll

That is a very rude response to helpful advice. He stated that you need a large pot (8+gallons) and a wort chiller. Neither of which you mentioned having since you stated you had what came with basic kits. Also he pointed out that you should not move your beer to secondary so soon, because you suggested that after 3 days you were almost ready to move it.

That is freeking funny...Never even looked at the OP's name...Yeah he's probably like "OK dude get off my a$$"

I'm just a Troll trying to assist the noobs. Not a bad way to hang here on HBT.
I'll take it!:cool::cool:

Revvy said:
Actually even there the OP wasn't open to any suggestions than what he had in his mind. He didn't appear to like that Jaybird DARED suggest he brew a couple kits before jumping in hard and fast or whatever he called it.

Why do it right when you can do it hard and fast?

I used to moderate a forum, and we used to be able to see the IP address of the posters and match it with other usernames that have been posted under that same IP. Is this someone just messing with us, or is this kid for real?

Either way, I still enjoy a good public flogging every now and again.

thumb_MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif

Why are you guys being such jerks to this guy? He asked a clear question and you are all treating him lik...

**Forget it. I can't do it. The guy was being a total ******.**

I just reread this thread and I am still confused....

... where exactly did it go off the rails? What 25 year old college kid can't hold his stuff together on an online forum?

Yes, if you ask a question about a secondary, you will be told 9 times it is not necessary, but the 10th will be a valid answer. What internet forum is any different?

howabouttheiris said:
I just reread this thread and I am still confused....

... where exactly did it go off the rails? What 25 year old college kid can't hold his stuff together on an online forum?

Went crazy after the 3rd post.

OP:
'Here is the 5 things I have in a hobby that can rival any in gadgets of questionably useful complexity.... what am I missing"

J:
'here are the next 2 most important"

OP:
<snap>

+1 on letting it go a bit longer before racking to secondary. It'll really give the yeast a chance to finish their job and meld everything together.

not sure about your brew kettle's size, but if you're going to do AG, then a kettle capable of doing full boils is a must.

drunken posting when I should be asleep? terrible idea. Sorry Jay you were just trying to be helpful... *Disappears into the shadows never to be heard from again*

Am I allowed to quote myself? cuz I probably shoulda read before posting advice.

+1 on letting it go a bit longer before racking to secondary. It'll really give the yeast a chance to finish their job and meld everything together.

not sure about your brew kettle's size, but if you're going to do AG, then a kettle capable of doing full boils is a must.

Seriously dude, either you're a total punk @$$ or just trying to get a rise out of everyone here. Either way, nice work.

TR I'm sure the apology is appreciated, are you still interested in getting an answer to your question?

My hat goes off to Jay, what a decent professional response to the OP's initial
schizophrenic assault! In fact, most of the responses to this fiasco of a thread have been quite a testament to the great members who belong to this forum!

I am proud to belong to this site!

For the OP: WOW, well that is all I can say!

Do I still need advice? yes. Do I deserve advice after the way I acted? no. I think I'll lurk more and try to find answers that way.

Hey, at least you realized you were being assholish and apologized for it.

Welcome to the forum! People may give your name a questioning look when they see you post for a short while after this fiasco, but these things clear up pretty quickly with a good attitude ;)

Good luck with your brewing!

TR - lurking is good.

and - we're a good-natured bunch. If you kept being a ******, we'd keep after you - (of course) but at this point, we almost have to say thanks for the fun (at your expense)...

Welcome to HBT - that's how we roll. Lurk away, ask questions, thank those that give you good advice.
Recognize that wording is important because this is the internet, after all.

You need lots of steel wool to clean your plastic fermentor. Also, don't worry about sanitation, it's way overrated. Regular dish soap works fine, don't bother rinsing it either. :mug:

Joe_K said:
You need lots of steel wool to clean your plastic fermentor. Also, don't worry about sanitation, it's way overrated. Regular dish soap works fine, don't bother rinsing it either. :mug:

C'mon Joe. The guy has apologised and we have had our fun. Let's move on?

Latest posts

Back