Not sure what to do.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
This weekend my Weizen will be ready to get out of the secondary. I have enough bottles for a whole batch, but I also got two rebuilt cornies sitting in my living room, but no kegerator just yet. I've asked some questions in the past about kegging/conditioning at room temperatures and it's do-able, but without its problems. So, I'm wondering what would the brethren, and sisters, do in this case. I'm really itching to keg, but if it ain't time, then it ain't time.

If you have an unheated (or slightly heated) garage or basement: KEG! If not, maybe you can block the heat in one room or keep your kegs directly under a window to catch the down drafts.

There's always the 'put kegs in a bucket of water and let evaporation cool the keg' trick.

Temperatures "down" here are cooling off. Low's about 40-ish and highs in the low 60 to 50-ish. I was thinking about that and I have an unheated garage and a patio deck that's exposed to the outside. But, I've read into some things that temperature fluctuations will kill a brew. Any truth to that? So far, I like what I'm reading.....

I'd get a rubbermaid trash can fill it with water and put it outside in the shade or where ever you get a northern exposure. Drop your corny in that.

The water will help stabilize temp swings.

It would be really hard for the ambient temps to change the temperature of 32 gallons of water when the temperature only changes 20 degrees.

You might have to ice the water down initially depending on how cold your groundwater is

Also, consider the time you are saving by racking to the keg instead of bottleing and use that time to start a new batch. You can rack while your wort is boiling.

Thanks dudes. Well, at least some good news. I just filled up my 10 pound CO2 tank, cost only 10 bucks.

Ol' Grog said:
Thanks dudes. Well, at least some good news. I just filled up my 10 pound CO2 tank, cost only 10 bucks.

what?? Im paying $22 for my 5 lb. They did say it would only be 5 bucks more to fill up this 20lb tank I have. go figure

Wow. 22 bucks? Does that include bottle rent or something? That seems pretty steep for only a 5 pounder. Shop around. I got mine filled at a wielding shop.

Ol' Grog said:
Wow. 22 bucks? Does that include bottle rent or something? That seems pretty steep for only a 5 pounder. Shop around. I got mine filled at a wielding shop.

I did. But its one of the many drawbacks to living in a small town. Not much for competition to drive prices down.

Im not that worried all that much though, My 5lb is still going strong after 2 months

Why not just store your kegs in a closet in the house? That would be much more stable environment.

Temp swings will harm the beer flavor, but swings that never get over 68 do minimal harm. So storing it in the garage for a while will be perfectly alright....since it should not get hotter than the mid 60's.

In Dec,Jan,Feb, I usually just tap kegs that sit on the concrete floor of my garage. The fridge never runs anyway because it is just as cold outside the fridge as it is inside it. It doesn't get below freezing much here, so I don't have to worry about that.

Fill pricing factors:
Locality.
Is the fill gas only and no liquid?
Do you own the tank or is the rental price built into the fill?
Is it a fill or an exchange? Fills or smaller tanks are more labor intensive especially if it's while you wait.

Tank Price Factors:
Do you own the tank or is the rental price built into the fill?
When was the last itme it was pressure tested and what is th life expectancy of the tank?

Cheesefood said:
I just called a welding shop, and he wants $90 for a full 20lb tank. Good deal?

How much for a refill?

I paid $90 for my 10lb tank filled. It's $7 to refill and the guy will even bring me a full one when mine gets low. I just need to drop off the empty at his house when it's out.

Back