Not BIAB but full volume mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk4

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is my first HBT post in a while so thanks for reading!

Since I started looking at HBT a few years back (before I was a member), I have been a 1 gallon extract brewer, a 1 gallon BIAB brewer, a 3 gallon 3 vessel brewer, a 3 gallon BIAB brewer, a 5 gallon 3 vessel brewer, and now I am in the process of stepping up once again to 10 gallon batches.

Naturally, I have accumulated a fair amount of equipment over this time. To free up some basement space, I had to unload my 5 gallon mash tun when I purchased my new 70 qt cooler; however, my pup had to take an unforeseen trip to the vet which sapped my 15G SS pot fund (don't worry she's happy and healthy). So until I get that 15G pot, I am taking this opportunity to explore full volume mashing in a cooler in hopes that I can get the best of both worlds, sparge-free, full volume mashing (like a BIAB) but the temp holding power of a cooler MT.

I was just curious to see what others thought of this process. I have read plenty of articles about the subject extolling the virtues of a full volume mash, but at some points it gets confusing and maybe more complicated than it needs to be (IMO).

So here's what I'm thinking for my mild I am brewing tomorrow:
Grain bill is 8.5lb, OG ~1.034

Final batch size = 5.5 G
+
Trub loss = .5 G
+
Kettle and Cooler Dead Space = 1.5 G
+
Grain Absorption Rate (.13x8.5) = ~1.0
+
Boil Off = 1.5G

Full Volume of Mash Water = 10 G (that seems high for a light grain bill, but I think it is due to my dead space issue)

I am planning on Mashing out with 2G of ~180F water, so that puts my mash volume at 8G (8G + 2G = 10G total)...

It isn't ideal, but a man has to brew so I am going through with this anyways. I will photograph and document my brew day so others my learn from my potential mistakes.

Does anyone spot any problems thus far?

Ps. My other brew pot sizes are 8.5G and 9G respectively.

EDIT ***Oh yeah, and I cant straight up biab this one because I don't have any bags available.

mods please remove I posted this in the all grain section, perhaps rightly so .

Back