Northern Brewer American Wheat Plus Honey... WOW.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superslomo

Reaction score
Just tried my Northern American Wheat extract kit this weekend, it was bottled last Thursday, after sitting on Safale US-05 for a bit less than a month.

Brewed it with a flameout addition of a pound of clover honey, and added apricot at bottling.

Three days of conditioning in the bottle, and it's close to the best thing I've made so far, certainly the best for the exceedingly limited cost... I would drink this year-round, and am doing another with Wyeast 1010, aiming to add raspberry to the bottling.

This and the extract Petite Saison have both thoroughly knocked me out, but the Am.Wheat is really stunning. My wife was bowled over.

The bumped up alcohol is imperceptible, still nice, round, and mild.

I tried one of their honey weizen recipes, and it came out kinda sour. Interesting to hear your take on the wheat beer made with honey. I will have to try that one and see if i still get the sour taste.

I've got a honey weizen package as well from them, which is odd in that it's nearly the identical beer, and uses the same liquid yeast, but if you go with dry yeast, it uses a different blend. Not sure what the reasoning is there, but so be it.

Haven't tried the honey weizen, but the fermentables are identical (though the American Wheat kit doesn't include the honey with it... I just sort of ballparked the process to be similar to the honey weizen and ran with it.) Some folks in the reviews for the kit suggested adding honey, I'm pleasantly surprised, also at the fact that the bottles are carb'ed and conditioned tasting after as little as three/four days??

FWIW, I'm trying one presently with the Wyeast, but this first round (now bottled and being enjoyed) is one I did with the Safale US-05. Unless the Wyeast 1010 is exceptionally good, I'm probably just going to use dry yeast going forward with this.

Second round may also just go 3 weeks in the bucket instead of four, though I don't want to change more than one variable at a time.

Back