"Northeast" Type "Juicy" IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgja2

Reaction score
I have done a lot of reading on the subject and think i have come up with something with a lot of potential. I originally designed the recipe for London Ale III due to rumors alot of the breweries doing this style use it and it tends to add to the cloudiness and juice like appearance but since i am still unsure i will have time to brew this weekend, I am going to pitch OYL Bring on the funk Brett blend. I have been maintaining a culture of this for a few months and only used it twice so I figured i can cold crash it and pitch it if i have time to brew. Looking for thoughts on the recipe, water, and yeast. Cheers

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.040
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.17%
IBU (tinseth): 28.47
SRM (morey): 3.81

FERMENTABLES:
9.2 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (78.6%)
0.75 lb - Flaked Oats (6.4%)
0.75 lb - Flaked Wheat (6.4%)
0.75 lb - German - Carapils (6.4%)
0.25 lb - German - Acidulated Malt (2.1%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 28.47
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 160 °F
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 160 °F
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 160 °F
2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
2 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
2 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
2 oz - Orange Peel, Time: 5 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - London Ale III 1318 (Actually going with OYL Bring on da funk)

Ca 88 Mg 26 Na 19 Cl 200 SO4 100

Your mileage may very, but I'd cut the dry hop in half and use those 3 ounces in the whirlpool. It might just be me, but I find that I get plenty of hop aroma with 2 or 3 ounces for most beers.

Also, using the brett strain will likely end with a much different beer than a classic Northeast IPA, but it would still be good. It will pretty much just be the difference between a wild, funky IPA, and a clean IPA, so use whichever will produce what you want.

Thanks for the info! I already brewed it. Ended up having time. As for the dryhop, i am definitely going for something a little over the top as far as aroma/flavor. Lets hope its not too much. With all the adjuncts and the 2:1 Chloride to Sulfate ratio i think it will work. But only time will tell now.

So like i posted previously, i did end up having time to brew this. As i was unsure i would, i ended up pitching a culture of OYL "bring on da funk" rather then the London Ale III the recipe was designed around. As expected it turned into something completely different but it did turn our really good. Very mind funk, big fruit juice and tropical notes in the aroma and flavor. I am becoming more and more of a fan of flaked grains in ipas and will prob never brew one without it.

surprised this turnout out as expected given the low hop bill. My NE styles usually have 20oz of hops per batch. yes, 5 gallons.

surprised this turnout out as expected given the low hop bill. My NE styles usually have 20oz of hops per batch. yes, 5 gallons.

20oz? Wow! i dont know if i can afford to brew a batch like that. It seems to me the law of diminishing returns would come into play here. Care to share recipe details?

I've been trying to brew a recipe like this for the last few months doing 3 gallon BIAB. The biggest thing I've seen so far that contributes to that Northeast juiciness/haze is that the dry hops really make a huge impact. Some of the my earlier batches I brewed with a ton of late and whirlpool hops and then dry hopped with 1.8 oz (equivalent of 3 oz for 5 gallon) and just wasn't happy. My last few batches I lightened up on the late hops and doubled my dry hops to 3.6 oz and BOOM it was exactly what I was going for. All brewed with Safale 04. Still have some kinks to work out but am getting closer.

20oz? Wow! i dont know if i can afford to brew a batch like that. It seems to me the law of diminishing returns would come into play here. Care to share recipe details?

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.052
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 7.15%
IBU (tinseth): 30.92
SRM (morey): 5.5

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (71%)
3 lb - American - White Wheat (19.4%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (3.2%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 15L (3.2%)
0.5 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (3.2%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: First Wort, IBU: 30.92
2 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 170 °F
8 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 170 °F
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
8 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 148 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 5.03 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 168 F, Time: 15 min, Amount: 4.42 qt
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
White Labs - Dry English Ale Yeast WLP007
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med-High
Optimum Temp: 65 - 70 F
Fermentation Temp: 66 F

That is disgusting. That sounds like it tasted like puss filled, merky pond water. I got to be honest, and call it like I see it. That brew is all you bro, all you. I would not brew that if you gave me the ingredients and said pretty please. $100 you called it juicy while you sipped it

That is disgusting. That sounds like it tasted like puss filled, merky pond water. I got to be honest, and call it like I see it. That brew is all you bro, all you. I would not brew that if you gave me the ingredients and said pretty please. $100 you called it juicy while you sipped it

That is awfully harsh. I am not sure which recipe you are referring to but every brewer can brew what they like, that is the beauty of this hobby.

There is a reason this trend exists and I am willing to bet if you tried examples of this style from the likes of Tired Hands, Trillium, etc you might understand why myself and others are working hard to replicate it.

If your not into it, cool. Just refrain from being a negative nancy please.

you know what puss filled, murky pond water tastes like?

Ever gone fishing and a fish flips algae in your mouth? = pond water. I have had durian = puss/trash/rotten veggie as a prank dropped in one of my beers. I love my brother btw. And I am not sorry, 4:1 oz:gal ratio does not seem like you can appreciate anything else about the beer... Why not just bottle hop tea? I just can't respect every trend that comes along... That being said, I agree with zgja2 I don't have to be a negative nancy. Not my brew, not my place. Cheers :mug: At the end of the day, brew what you like... all you man all you

Back