North Coast Old Stock Ale, what's the Belgian equivalent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a 4-pack of NC's 2016 Old Stock Ale yesterday. Never tried it before (probably because I don't often spend over $10 for a 6 pack, much less $12 for a 4-pack) The stuff is astounding. I've been reading old threads about it; supposedly it's just Maris Otter pale malt and English hops, boiled for a really long time to darken it and get all those caramel and fruit notes.

I'd like to brew something like this, but all I have is French pilsner malt. So if I subst pilsner malt for the pale ale malt, and use noble hops instead of Golding, I think it would be kind of like a Trappist beer although I'm not sure what style. (been a while since I've read BLAM)

I don't have a recipe yet, but I'm thinking of boiling a gallon of the first runnings down to make a dark syrup and add that back to the boil kettle. Should I use any sugar in the recipe, or make it all malt? I think maybe 90% pils and 10% sugar, adding all the sugar to that first gallon for the syrup.

Would Belle Saison yeast be appropriate, and can it handle that high a gravity? OG should be about 1.100.

What you're describing sounds like a tripel or Strong Golden. I'd choose something like wlp570 or wlp530 for that. Belle Saison is very attenuative and you'd likely wind up with 14% rocket fuel for a year or two if you used that yeast.

I also don't see why you couldn't use french pilsner and golding type hops with an english yeast to reach something similar to Old Stock Ale.

I think it will turn out very hot if you add any sugar or if you use Belle Saison yeast. You might want to skip the sugar, go with a smaller original gravity no more than like 1.080, and try a different less attenuative yeast so that it finishes closer to 1.015-1.020. At that point it would be something like a stronger version of a Duvel, or if you use a big load of hops you might even call it a Belgian IPA. In any case, ferment cool in the mid-60s to avoid harsh fusel alcohols, and be patient as it will probably take 5-6 weeks to finish fermentation.

I bought a smack-pack of Wyeast 1762 a couple of days ago, and I've decided to see if I can make a dubbel using just continental pilsner malt, white sugar, and hops (probably Magnum) by caramelizing the sugar first in some of the first runnings. OG will be about 1.070, and I'll ferment in the low-mid 60's at first and let it rise.

It will probably end up too light, and it won't be anything like NC Old Stock, but that was my inspiration. (and if it sucks, I'm not going to blame them for it :))

Latest posts

Back