Norcal Brewing Solutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply.Nothing was custom as far as I know,it was all stuff they offer right on the website.
I haven't seen any negative feed back in any forum to make me believe they aren't an honest operation.
I'm giving them another chance to get me my order but 10 days without any communication is poor service to say the least.

Finally got it all sorted out,would have been nice if it were dealt with sooner than 10 days after I ordered and me contacting them however everything worked out.
After all said and done Nor Cal seems like a good shop and I would do Business w/ them again.
My only complaint is the lack of shipping info and communication on this order.

I love these guys. Glad you got it sorted out. Another thing you can do, is PM Jaybird on here and he'll get back to you so freakin' quick.

In my experience when I order from them, I place the order (typically at night), within 24 hours I get an email confirming everything, and then it goes out the next day. They aren't a huge operation, so if you need something quickly, I'd call them up or again, PM Jaybird to get the ball rolling a little sooner. They do a ton of custom work too, which I can't wait to take advantage of soon.

Back in late December, NorCal offered 40% off of a recipe kit of your choice, in exchange for a review of the product. I figured I would be a good one to review the product, since I am an experienced brewer, but have only brewed all-grain from day one. The kits were all extract based.

The kits are here. There are some house kits, some clones, and some of the Munton's canned kits. I chose the Box A ESB, a house kit.

I ordered the kit, and a 32oz bottle of Starsan. Order was placed on a Sunday night. It shipped the following day. A shipping confirmation email, with tracking number, was received less than 24 hours after placing my order.

The USPS moved that box all the way from California to Amish country here in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania in less than 48 hours. The box was waiting for me Wednesday afternoon when I got home from work.

7bjcCOf.jpg

The kit was called Box A ESB because the kit will fit in a type A Priority Mail box. This was not an A box, because I ordered the big bottle of Starsan. Sorry I screwed that part up, NorCal. :D

But it all came tightly packed, and arrived safely:

V9lQRN2.jpg

First thing found was the receipt/packing list, with a handwritten thank you at the bottom. Excellent personal touch.

EDHSunB.jpg

Unboxing produced this:
EQcfIVC.jpg

Bagging Starsan is really a must, because when one of those bottles leaks, it is a ridiculous mess. And left to it's own devices, undiluted Stansan will eat through many things. (Yes, there is a story explaining how I came to learn this.) Even though this bottle didn't leak, the bag was much appreciated protection.

And the kit:
wcYaBNE.jpg

Everything was well packed, and clearly labeled.

The yeast had an expiry date 6 months from now. Plenty of time for me to brew this beer.
EaXDEcv.jpg

Since I've never made an extract beer, I spent some time reading the instructions to familiarize myself with the process. Everything appeared to be explained in an easy-to-follow fashion.

I decided since it was a 3 gallon partial boil, I would make this beer inside, in my kitchen. On New Year's Day, I pulled out my 5 gallon soup pot, and got to work.

The steeping of the grains, and the preheating of the extract:
eo6NCLk.jpg

qciDJEk.jpg

WWYIvOa.jpg

The beginning of the boil, and after the first hop addition it nearly boiled over, but I was prepared, and no mess was made:
L0dCdSX.jpg

xg44rRW.jpg

Chilling in the sink was nice, simply because it was so cold outside:
jPQY6AD.jpg

Sanitized funnel and fermentor awaiting the wort:
NmtUWg5.jpg

I topped off with bottled water and pitched the yeast:
WXlJ90K.jpg

Sample was at 62 degrees, close enough that I wouldn't bother with hydrometer correction. OG was about 1.050, slightly higher than the estimated 1.046.
M89ZZo5.jpg

mlS5F1r.jpg

24 hours later:
eh0WkAX.jpg

9 days later:
KS95Oxd.jpg

Now here is when life got in my way. I had intended to bottle this beer, since it came with the sugar and caps. Instead, it sat. And sat. And sat.

I finally decided that if I was ever going to finish this, I needed to keg this beer. I was just too busy to even do that. So it sat some more.

Finally, I got the beer in a keg. Gravity had dropped a wee bit more in this time, ending at 1.012.
2ymcvPM.jpg

I put it on the gas at serving pressure, and it sat. And sat. Finally able to try it out, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a bit darker than anticipated, and had a definite caramel taste and feel to it. Sadly, every photo I took of this finished product in a glass was slightly out of focus, but here's one anyway.
Lb1ElEf.jpg

While not exactly like the ESB's I've made previously, it definitely fit the style, and was a treat to brew, (and drink). The hops were somewhat diminished in the nose, but that is entirely of my own doing, since it aged as much as it did before drinking.

My overall impression of the kit itself is favorable. While pricey by my personal standards, it seems a fantastic value for the brewer without the equipment, space, or ability to purchase grain in bulk and brew accordingly. As mentioned before, I'm not an extract brewer, so I'm not accustomed to the cost of extracts.

The addition of caps and priming sugar to the ingredient kit seems very useful, even though I was unable to utilize them this time. They will get re-purposed for another beer in the future, and definitely not be wasted.

I'm extremely happy with the service by Jay and everyone else from NorCal, and will absolutely give them my business again. I will soon be in the market for a false bottom for my hopback, and these folks will definitely be getting the call.

TL;DR: NorCal provides a great product, at a fair price. They offer good service and worthy of your business.

Thanks for the very thorough review @imasickboy

Thanks for playing along. How is the beer aging or is it gone already? You mentioned the nose being diminished a little. Do you really think it was the age on the beer with those hops or should we add a touch to the bill? I have brewed that beer a few times at the store and felt it was a good representation of the style.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the very thorough review @imasickboy

Thanks for playing along. How is the beer aging or is it gone already? You mentioned the nose being diminished a little. Do you really think it was the age on the beer with those hops or should we add a touch to the bill? I have brewed that beer a few times at the store and felt it was a good representation of the style.

Cheers
Jay

Once I finally got to it, it was consumed rapidly, and is sadly just a memory now. I definitely attribute the diminished nose to the length of time the beer sat before I got to it. The 2 oz at flameout should have been plenty, but just wasn't there in the end. I think the recipe is solid, and a good representation. I just would have liked to try it a bit more fresh. Entirely my own doing, but it gives me reason to make it again.

I brewed BOX A and also was very pleased by the quality of the kit. The taste is fantastic. I'm down to my last few bottles. It is aging quite well.

I'm entering it in a local competition in early June. I'd call it more of a BEST BITTER (Seems to fit there according to BJCP) than an ESB.

While it didn't place the judges liked it over all. More importantly it is popular with my friends. This is my 2nd batch of it.

-Andy

I recently bought a CO2 Harvester, which I have connected to the carboy in my ferm chamber. When fermentation took off, I noticed the tube in the second jar was bubbling away into the Starsan, but no activity in the airlock on top. I discovered the rubber grommet for the airlock was leaking around the edges. Not a real big deal (it's the second jar, so it won't affect the CO2 being drawn back in from the first jar), but still wanted to give NorCal a heads-up. Apparently, the width of the groove in the grommet is much larger than the thickness of the jar lid. I left a message with another person who answered the phone. Jay called me back an hour later, and said he had put a couple of the correct grommets in an envelope and mailed it to me. This was late last week. I received them today. I'll swap out the grommet tonight.

Very pleased with their response to my minor issue. I'll do business with them again. Thanks, Jay!

Back