Noob Question about OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been searching around trying to find out how low is too low, and how low is really OK. I'm new to brewing - 5 batches (AG) so far -

Last night I did a BIAB 3 gallon batch CDA, and my OG was slightly lower than i should be. The target was 1.060 and I was around 1.052. I didn't lose as much liquid as I thought I would and ended up with almost 3.5 gallons instead of the 3. Didn't realize this until moving to the fermentation bucket. So I know why the OG is low, and I'm not really worried about this batch. This just got me thinking - when should I worry and think about adding things like DME to bring up the gravity?

if it has some sugars it will ferment, the OG just gives more body and alcohal. If you are trying to match brews then its important otherwise you can make a good beer (maybe better than planned) with any OG

If you had ended up with a 1.035 instead of 1.05 or something like that, it'd be reason to worry, because you'd have a watered down beer.

From expected 1.06 to 1.052, there is still PLENTY of body in that beer. More like going from a beer on the heavier side to a medium-bodied brew.

I'd just let it ride. The final result might now be a little off from the original intended recipe, but not enough that it isn't still going to be a good beer.

Yeah, it will still be great. I have beers come in low quite a bit which is why I adjust the recipe to account for it. You could always add dme as you said, but what is worst case, your beer will be a little more sessionable!

Thanks everyone! I figured that this one wasn't too low, but just got me thinking what would I do if I was way off.

It's bubbling away in the fermenter now so we'll see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back