No yeast packet in brew kit! AKA typical newb panic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknRollFun

Reaction score
Like any good newbie I'm posting with a "situation" I encountered today and not sure if my decision was the best.

Our Brewers Best Falconer's Flight IPA kit came with no yeast packet, and like any aforementioned good newb:
1. I have no dry brewer's yeast on hand [lesson learned]
2. I didn't notice before boil was almost done
2. I have no idea if the Fleischmann's yeast varieties I have on hand would be a good idea to use in a pinch

I have relaxed, tried not to worry, and had a home brew and decided to seal up the fermenter [6.5 gal glass carboy] with an airlock with Starsan water in it and place it in a refrigerator set about 40 degrees F in hopes of slowing growth.

How long do I have? I think I can get brewer's yeast [dry I'm guessing] in my hands and ready to pitch in 32 hours or so [every brewshop is closed today and I have to work tomorrow.]

Do I need to warm the carboy back up before pitching? Put in in a hot bath maybe?

Or should I pitch Flieschmann's ADY or Fast Acting yeast ASAP? If I do how much?

Ugh, 3rd batch and first major mishap. Thanks for bearing with me.

As long as your sanitation was thorough, you should be alright. Just get some us-05 as soon as possible, make a small starter, pull your fermenter out of the fridge, wait for the temp to get up to the 60s then pitch.

Get some 05 as mentioned above. Pitch it when the temp gets 55 degrees or higher. No need to do a starter when pitching a packet of 05 in a 5 gallon batch unless it is extremely high gravity.....even then just re-hydrating prior to pitching is sufficient.

You may want to grab a few packs. It is always a good idea to keep a couple packs of a good dry yeast on hand for emergencies. :)

You sure you didn't overlook the yeast somewhere? A brewers best kit SHOULD have yeast. You should be fine until you get some but I would mention it to whoever you bought from since it should have been there.

Toga said:
Get some 05 as mentioned above. Pitch it when the temp gets 55 degrees or higher. No need to do a starter when pitching a packet of 05 in a 5 gallon batch unless it is extremely high gravity.....even then just re-hydrating prior to pitching is sufficient.

You may want to grab a few packs. It is always a good idea to keep a couple packs of a good dry yeast on hand for emergencies. :)

Thanks so much!! And, ha, lesson learned. There will be extra packets on hand at all times from now on.

Thanks, everyone, and I'm too new and anxious to have a few batches under my belt before I'll pitch any experimental elements ;)

I will say this - I feel like less of a noob because my first thoughts were (1) seal it up and (2) go get dry US-05 (I only know that because my most recent brew is an IPA). Pleased to see that was basically the advice given by those who know what they're doing.

I will say this - I feel like less of a noob because my first thoughts were (1) seal it up and (2) go get dry US-05 (I only know that because my most recent brew is an IPA). Pleased to see that was basically the advice given by those who know what they're doing.

It's always only as complex as you make it...

Can I make it more complex? :eek:
I've got some US-05 [good call- that exact strain indeed was supposed to be included in the BB kit but was missing] coming my way in a few hours. I checked the fermenter today- nice and quiet, looks fine... some trub at the bottom.
I can shake that trub back up and it's ok right? Cause I plan on doin' some shaking to speed up warming the liquid inside [will put it in room temperature bathtub, then introduce it to warmer water when it reaches ambient]. And I will try to aerate it as much as possible too.

There will be a whole lotta shakin' goin' on.

Back