no-weld valves on aluminum bk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kpr121 said:
Sure, why wouldnt they?

Well some metals expand and contract more than others when they are heated and cooled. Not sure if those factors would cause problems with the seal. Those valves are expensive and would hate to waste my hard earned money on something that I would not be able to use.

The weldless valves have silicone gaskets typically, which easily take up the slack of expension and contraction.

I put one in a 30 qt turkey fryer pot. Worked just fine and that's a thin gauge aluminum.

Just put one on my 7 gallon aluminum pot, and it works wonderfully with no leaks.

Definitely one of the best upgrades I've made to my equipment to date.

Just got the standard SS one from NorthernBrewer.

Yup. Its my current brew kettle. Make sure to do a full volume water boil in any aluminum pot before brewing to condition and oxidize it and you will be set to go. I'm waiting on my new kettle from Bayou Classics to finally replace it and relegate it for sparge duty.

Yes, just make sure you know how thick the wall is. I have two different versions where one is slightly longer for those really thick aluminum walls if you have them.

Yup, and buy it from Bobby! Also put a sight glass on there at the same time, it is worth the extra $25.

I have a fairly thick walled Al kettle and when installing my weldless valves, the kettle flattened a little bit once tightened. I mean a little bit- have to really inspect it to notice- and haven't had a leak yet. My mash tun, on the other hand.....Kyle

Bobby

Can you pm details to order from you. I need a weldless thermometer and Sightglass.

icebrew said:
Bobby

Can you pm details to order from you. I need a weldless thermometer and Sightglass.

Same here! Won't be able to purchase till fathers day though. That's when the wife is letting me get my all grain setup.

Back