No water in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paratroop

Reaction score
So, I just brewed my 3rd batch of beer, where it has been in the primary for 2 days, this morning when I checked on it it had a very active and healthy fermentation. Just now I checked it and the airlock barely had any water in it at all! I was really confused and made up some sanitizer and water and replenished the air lock.

What happened?? And should I be worried?

How dry is the air?

I've had air locks dry up but never after just a couple of days.

Maybe it was pushed out somehow.

It got sucked into the fermenter. It's a fairly common occurrence when there is a drastic temperature or pressure change in the fermenter. At this early stage in fermentation, the headspace should be filled with CO2, so you shouldn't have much to worry about.

That's also why you don't want to take a chance of putting bleach water in the airlock.

And I'll go ahead and ask: are you sure you put water in the airlock?

I guess drainbamage is right. I'm sure it depends on the airlock type though. I don't think the water can be sucked bak into the fermenter using the airlock I use.

I have one word for you: VODKA. Put it in the airlock that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

With the S-shape airlocks I've noticed a drastic increase in evaporation if I don't use the snap-on cap. But gone in two days seems like the heating/cooling during and after initial fermentation might have pulled it in.

Well, went to check the fermentation today again, would you believe it? Same thing, no water in airlock...Filled here back up and hoping for the best. Weird though as soon as 5 minutes later, a lot of activity in the airlock and is already missing about half its water i just added?

And for y'alls information it is a S type w/ cap.

If all the liquid is on one side that's the way it's supposed to look. Plus why aren't you filling it with vodka yet. Doesn't evaporate as quickly plus like a previous poster said, if it gets sucked in then no biggie.

My airlocks when topped with star San solution always need topping up, the liquid gets carried away in the bubbles, the star san bubbles just seem to grow outside the lid of the airlock. If you put water only in the water stays for weeks

If all the liquid is on one side that's the way it's supposed to look. Plus why aren't you filling it with vodka yet. Doesn't evaporate as quickly plus like a previous poster said, if it gets sucked in then no biggie.

don't have any..

Well, went to check the fermentation today again, would you believe it? Same thing, no water in airlock...Filled here back up and hoping for the best. Weird though as soon as 5 minutes later, a lot of activity in the airlock and is already missing about half its water i just added?

And for y'alls information it is a S type w/ cap.

Where do you store your fermenter? Is it someplace that is subject to wild temperature swings?

Or, it could be bubbling so vigorously that it is blowing the water out of the S-tube. You could try switching to a blowoff hose for the first few days until fermentation slows down.

Im fermenting a batch right now with a 3 pc airlock. I use star san as well and had to replace water after the first 2 days. There was still a little in there but not enough to make the dome rise and bubble. The S type are even worse. Seems at high Krausen the star san creates so much foam thats pushed out it pulls most water.
2 nd question is what kind of temp swing from day to night are you getting. when i fermented in the house (our house is set at 65) my fermenter ran about 67-68 during the first few days of hard fermentation. But there was a temp swing at night that would drop it to the low 60s and slow fermentation down alot and can suck the fluid back into fermentor.
One of my first fermentors was a 8g mini brew conical. The Oring for the lid is a POS. The company states you dont even need a airlock of Oring. That the beer creates a blanket of Co2 and will keep nasties out. I still made my own gasket as i like being able to see activity.

i have this issue sometimes when i have vigorous fermentations and i have made my star san a bit to strong. it will bubble a bunch and bubble right out of the airlock. just keep and eye on it and refill as needed. one everything slows down it wont dry up. Next time use vodka or made your star san per directions.

The answer to every airlock question is "you're fine", unless you put something weird in it or it's not sanitized.

The reason: Loads of people brew successfully without any kind of airlock, with foil caps on carboys or in food safe buckets with loose lids. Airlocks are only used in primary because people will buy them, then swear by them because they already own them. Beer does not get airborne diseases. If you get an infection it's from direct contact or dust (often grain) you introduced in racking.

That said, just don't put anything noxious in your airlock, and it makes a perfectly harmless tree-topper for your carboy. But really, consider simplifying everything once you have the hang of it. You'll brew more often.

Specific to OP's situation, though, make sure your wort is down to temp before pitching and you shouldn't get any negative pressure in a carboy. It will also save you from runaway krausen.

Lots of great information in this thread! Hope when I get home from work everything's okay with my beer!

As far as where the fermentor is stored, it's is currently in a closet on the interior of the house and should maintain a somewhat consistent temps, however we have had some crazy temp changes down here in the SE so that May have something to do with it.

Are you sure there isn't a leak in the airlock? I agree it's most likely counter-pressure. I only ask because I found a repeating empty airlock and it turns out it was a slow leak.

Back