No Sulfates in NE Style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OceanbeachBrewer

Reaction score
I've gotten good results from keeping a high Chloride:Sulfate ratio when brewing NE Style IPAs, but has anyone tried eliminating Sulfate additions altogether? If so, how did it turn out?

Somewhat not surprisingly, the trials by NEIPA afficiendos found that zero sulfate was not better than having a low level of sulfate (for an IPA). Many have settled on about 150 ppm chloride and about 75 ppm sulfate.

Thanks Martin! Could you pass on any articles or studies on this? I think water profile has a huge impact on this style especially.

My advice: Don't do what everyone else is doing just because they tell you it's "the right way". If you've found something that works for you, then keep on doing it! If you want to experiment with zero sulfate addition, then try it and see if YOU like it! Everyone else be damned if they don't!

I just did my first NEIPA and I went with 150:150 chloride:sulfate (inspired by a recipe on the mad fermentationist blog), as I figured it was a good starting point and I would adjust from there as necessary. Well, I was very pleased with how it came out, plenty juicy with a more or less clean finish (also won best IPA at a small local homebrew competition). So for my tastes, I think I'm staying there. 150:75 is the ratio I see thrown about the most, but always brew to your own tastes :)

CL and So4 levels might be critical but attaining those levels with the optimum amount of Ca is probably more important....

Back