NO MORE ROOM AT THE SCOBY HOTEL--PLEASE TAKE THEM---FREE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donald cuddy

Reaction score
Have been brewing and enjoying the benefits of kombucha tea going on 2 years...been able to share some of my SCOBYS with a few people over this time. you only need so many on hand and I am now officially out of space in a rather large hotel. they appear to be in great shape and I have never had any issues with mold..really hate to throw them away when so many people seem to have difficulty propagating them. so--please pass along to anyone who is just getting started brewing kombucha or having issues with their SCOBY that I have approx. 8 or more--several of which are very thick and could be divided. text or email and I will figure out how to ship them..don
ps..can text pics if interested

Laurpud--Really happy you would take some of my scobys. They are very healthy and larger, so they would likely need to be divided and shared. will need to figure the best way to send them to you. If your comfortable providing your address--maybe a PO box or public address..I do realize in this day and age we cant be too careful about giving out info to people..let me know and I'll send them asap. don
ps I attached a pic..
IMG_0227.JPG

Just curious .... would a SCOBY from a different area be any different and produce a different Kombucha profile than a local Scoby?

Kinda-like local honey's properties vs honey from another area.

Just curious .... would a SCOBY from a different area be any different and produce a different Kombucha profile than a local Scoby?

bimmster--most likely..unclear about the flavor profile. I'm fairly amateur when it comes to knowing all the details..just that it makes good tea

bimmster--sent 2 of my scoby your way on 10/1/19..keep your eye out for them and let me know if the flavor profile is different...don

Sorry for the delay ! TeeDon and Donna went swimming on day two after receipt in some sweetened green tea (forgot to add in black tea at a ratio of 3green to 1Black)my usual ratio... at first the scoby formed on top as pale and thin ... about 1/16 inch then I re-fed it with my usual mix and all is well for them.
The flavor is kinda like apple or pear ...clean. I believe my continuous brew leaned more to the yeasty side over time and adds a musty honey flavor. Can't thank you enough for the Twins!!

Sorry for the delay ! TeeDon and Donna went swimming on day two after receipt in some sweetened green tea (forgot to add in black tea at a ratio of 3green to 1Black)my usual ratio... at first the scoby formed on top as pale and thin ... about 1/16 inch then I re-fed it with my usual mix and all is well for them.
The flavor is kinda like apple or pear ...clean. I believe my continuous brew leaned more to the yeasty side over time and adds a musty honey flavor. Can't thank you enough for the Twins!!
bimmster--glad they-re working out well and made it there in good shape. Never tried green tea..will have to experiment now...don--ps--have considered continuous brew but never tried it...do you think it is a better option than the batch method??curious for a first hand opinion...

Send your address. All I would ask is coverage for shipping..Last 2 I sent were larger and it was roughly $10..just signed back up for paypal so that's an option..let me know. I still have several large scoby. don

If you have any left, I would love to keep some in my home. I've brewed beer and wine, but no kombucha.

alan-I do have some scobys left..I use usps prepaid mailers--$7.40..just learning about paypal..not sure how to use to receive $$..unless their are other options. several people requesting..send your address..don

bimmster--glad they-re working out well and made it there in good shape. Never tried green tea..will have to experiment now...don--ps--have considered continuous brew but never tried it...do you think it is a better option than the batch method??curious for a first hand opinion...
Hey Don,
Just trying both for first time. i believe green tea will be lighter bodied, the continuous brew seams to work best at 3:1 or so!

Have been brewing and enjoying the benefits of kombucha tea going on 2 years...been able to share some of my SCOBYS with a few people over this time. you only need so many on hand and I am now officially out of space in a rather large hotel. they appear to be in great shape and I have never had any issues with mold..really hate to throw them away when so many people seem to have difficulty propagating them. so--please pass along to anyone who is just getting started brewing kombucha or having issues with their SCOBY that I have approx. 8 or more--several of which are very thick and could be divided. text or email and I will figure out how to ship them..don
Call me
takea couple
kim
917-855-9803
thanks! (East village

Hi Donald, do you still have a surplus? I’ve been trying to grow a scoby for a couple months now with no success :(
Thank you for being so generous to us all.

Back