No hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopFart

Reaction score
I broke my hydrometer, how long should I wait to bottle a lagunitas clone, also what is racking? Is it just a term used to say syphon to bottling container?

3 weeks will usually have you in a safe place as far as bottling goes, and you are correct with racking being a transfer of beer.

Also dont forget to add your broken hydrometer to the official broken hydrometer count thread.

They always break, try having a back up around, or a refractometer.
I recently bought 2 really cheap hydrometers as back ups, they refuse to break which sucks because they suck and I'm too cheap to buy another.

I'd post im surprised I haven't broken mine in the 3 plus years but I would jinx my self. 2 weeks should be fine. But 3 just to be safe. Plus it won't do anything but help.

When u first bottle what temp do u keep them and how long

Thankyou guys

I try to keep them at a similar temp to what they were fermented at (usually room temperature), and leave them for at least 3 weeks before opening them.

During the winter they are cooler and therefore take longer. most my beers peak at around 5-6 weeks carbonation wise

I try to keep them at a similar temp to what they were fermented at (usually room temperature), and leave them for at least 3 weeks before opening them.

During the winter they are cooler and therefore take longer. most my beers peak at around 5-6 weeks carbonation wise

Damn that feels like forever

it actually is forever.
Nearly impossible to achieve until you have a few brews in the pipeline

Damn that feels like forever

When you say you ferment @ room temp. What is your room temp?
Might be a bit high for ales.
How much fluctuation in temp do you have?

When you say you ferment @ room temp. What is your room temp?
Might be a bit high for ales.
How much fluctuation in temp do you have?

Usually around 18-22° so right on the money for ale yeast, if its getting to warm they go in the cellar cellar(which has never gotten above 18°.

I broke my hydrometer, how long should I wait to bottle a lagunitas clone, also what is racking? Is it just a term used to say syphon to bottling container?

Thanks for posting up that recipe! I will give it a try real soon ( ; I was a wee bit surprised there was no dry hop schedule in that recipe though?! IDK... just figured most IPA's have them but I am a newbie when it comes to brewing them.

If I had no hydrometer... well even though I do have a hydrometer I always wait to check the gravity until the airlock shows about 2 bubbles in 90 seconds. Ya, I know you shouldn't use the air lock as an indicator whether or not fermentation is done or not but I am using it in this instance as an indicator, not a measuring device!

So if ya got about a bubble every 45 seconds or so it's pretty close to the time it needs the dry hops added. Or, in your case time to rack (siphon) to the bottling bucket.

Couple of weeks, perhaps 3 and it should be there I bet ( ; Thanks again for posting that recipe! :drunk:

Back