No hops in my pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentdr

Reaction score
Hi All, I have brewed afew beers now and I am getting ready to brew a Coopers Pilsner and I'm looking at the ingredents and there no mention of hops is this normal for this type of beer? and can I add hops if I want without messing the beer up?? if so what is a good hop to use, I have casscade and willamet.

Those Coopers kits are hopped extracts. The hop acids and oils are in the can.

I think the consensus is that the canned kits are a bit inferior in quality. I haven't used one, but my friend has and like my stuff better.

If this is your first pre-hopped can extract batch, just a few words of advice. As said above, I think that partial extracts with hop additions produces a more complex and enjoyable flavor. However, with my very first batch being a hopped can with 1 can of unhopped extract with no hop additions, the beer tastes quite well. Though, mine took over 3 months for the flavors to mature enough in the bottle for it to be enjoyable to me. Don't get discouraged if it carbs up and is not what you expect or want it to be. Give it more time in the bottle before judging those kits too much. I however, have not done an extract canned kit since and probably will remain not doing them. I still have a few bottles left of my first batch and they are better now than ever before. Just my .02

If you have already bought the can, I think there is a user on here that uses them in addition to other fresh ingredients with good results. I forget his handle.

I recently made a fine tasting Pale Ale out of Mr. Beer ingredients that someone gave me. I mini mashed about 3 lbs of pale malt with about 6oz Crystal 60 and boiled to add some late addition Cascade hops (.5oz at 15 min, .5oz at 5 min), then added the 2 cans of Mr Beer "West Coast Pale Ale" HME can and the boosters at flame out, cooled, fermented (using the Mr Beer Yeast - 2 packages) and it is currently carbing in bottle. It tasted quite good coming out of the fermenter. OG 1.053, FG 1.013, 5.2% ABV.

4 gallons total fermented in the two Mr Beer fermenter kegs. It was fun, but I'm anxious to get back to 5 gallon batches. :)

Disclaimer: I'm a complete n00b, but I have a hunch. I bet most of the hop addition in such a canned extract is of the bittering variety (longer boil extracts alpha acids).

I bet your beer can benefit from a flavoring hop addition of 5-15 minutes during your boil. Is this out of style for a pilsener?

Disclaimer: I'm a complete n00b, but I have a hunch. I bet most of the hop addition in such a canned extract is of the bittering variety (longer boil extracts alpha acids).

I bet your beer can benefit from a flavoring hop addition of 5-15 minutes during your boil. Is this out of style for a pilsener?

Not a bad idea. Saaz is probably a good choice to make it taste pilsner-y.

As far as style, his beer is technically not a pilsner, because pilsners are lagers, and cooper kits are fermented at ale temps. True pilsner is actually a very technically difficult style to brew.

The Coopers Pilsner is indeed a lager, it's supplied with a saflager yeast, I have a brew in primary right now with it bubbling along at 52F.

Cheers!

Back