No-fan copper tube mast line chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradneal

Reaction score
Ok, I know this has been suggested before, but I tried it and I can't believe how well it works. And it's really pretty simple to install. Here's a little illustration for anyone that may be interested in giving it a try. I also added insulation between the copper tubes and the mast.

I had to mount my mast really close to the front of the fridge because it sits under my bar. But if you need to move yours back, you could even run the tube down the back of the inside - just get as much exposure to the inside wall as possible to carry the cold temps up the tube and close to the faucet.

If the Mod's want this in the DIY section, feel free to move it.

coppertube.jpg

Wouldn't it work much better with the copper tube ran to the bottom? In a freezer teh cold air sinks.
Or is this a mini fridge conversion??

Maybe some, but once the temperature inside the box stabilizes, I'm not sure how much temp difference there is between the top and bottom. And with my setup, I have 2 kegs in there and there is barely enough room to close the door with all the lines and the kegs.

But yes, I suppose one would gain a bit more by maybe running the line down the sides to the lower section of the box.

Wouldn't it work much better with the copper tube ran to the bottom? In a freezer teh cold air sinks.
Or is this a mini fridge conversion??

With a chest freezer setup, there is quite a difference in temps from bottom to top. But idea none the less and not difficult to adapt to a chest freezer.

Would be easier to add a fan inside to circulate the cold air up to chill your copper tubing. I did the copper tube in the tower idea and might have to add on the tee's like you did.

Sweet. I'm in the R&D stage of my keezer project now and have been thinking of ways to cool my planned Irish Coffin. Thanks for sharing the idea.

I can't take credit for the idea as I picked it up from someone on this forum. But I did test it and can confirm that it works - so thanks to whomever came up with it.

So how do you wire one of those computer fans up? (assuming that is what most folks use) Do you get some sort of transformer to bring it down to 12 volts or something?

Would be easier to add a fan inside to circulate the cold air up to chill your copper tubing. I did the copper tube in the tower idea and might have to add on the tee's like you did.

Back