No carbination???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffmedic591

Reaction score
Four weeks ago I bottled a imperial stout that is 12.1% ABV, I used corn sugar for priming. After four weeks I have almost no carbination. Can anyone tell me does this just need more time due to the high ABV or is this one a loss?

Welcome to HBT! Beers with high ABV% will take considerably longer to carbonate. Just a few other questions though...

What temperature are you conditioning/carbonating at? If it's too low it would drastically increase the amount of time to carbonate. The ideal temp is a little above 70F.

Also, did you use the appropriate amount of priming sugar for you desired carb level?

I would assume its just the high ABV% though...If everything else seems in check I'd keep waiting for another week or two and then check it out again. If it's still low there are a few additional option (swirling bottles to resuspend yeast, carbonation tablets, adding more priming sugar, adding more yeast, blending with properly carbonated beer). But before you go down those routes I'd give it a little more time!

Latest posts

Back