no bubbles in the bottle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madz1980

Reaction score
Hi,

My beer is not refermenting in the bottles... I added 6g/L dextrose before bottle... What happened... Have you ever seen that?

thanks,

MA

How long have you waited? It takes time.

Is it possible your caps are loose?

few questions to help diagnose your issue:
- how long has it been since bottling?
- how did you add the sugar (individually or bulk priming)
- how long did the beer ferment?
- what was the OG/FG?
- what temperature have the bottles been sitting at?
- did you hear any hiss or release of gas when you popped the cap?
- are you sure you remembered to add the sugar? (yes ive seen a long thread like this that ended with a sad "no"

How do you know it is not carbing? You don't normally see bubbles while the bottle is still capped. The bubbles all come out when the built up CO2 is exposed to air and has a place to go.

Waited 8 days, room temp in the basement around 17C
Swing top bottles
7 bottles checked so far
bulk priming
the beer fermented for 3 weeks and the gravity was stable for 3 days at 1010
OG:1050 FG:1010
no sound when opening
I truly added the sugar and remember having wash the pan it which I boiled it to asceptize (waited long time for the dextrose/water mix refresh before adding, was room temp)

thanks,

MA

I had the same problem with my first batch and only about 3 of the 40 carbed up. Too bad. It sounds like you need to wait A LOT longer. Also, what I found out afterwards is that when you rack the wort on top of the dextrose solution give a very gentle stir, without creating any bubbles or letting any air into the wort. This will make sure it's evenly mixed. After you bottle let it sit for a couple days then lift each bottle and tip it upside down gently then place it back down. I also used a calculator the second time to make sure I used enough dextrose. The first time I didn't even know to check this. I just added the 'standard' amount that people said to add.
I followed this procedure with my second batch and every bottle was perfectly carbed.
I pretty much lost my first batch completely cuz none of them carbed.
If I were you I'd wait another week or two then put them all in the fridge for 6 days. The cold fridge apparently forces the co2 into the liquid (from what I remember reading somewhere).
Hope that helps.

21° to 23°C would be a better conditioning temperature. At 17°C you may need to give the beer four to five weeks to carbonate.

Move the bottles to a warmer area, check another one in two weeks, after chilling for three days.

On Saturday I go to Brussels for two weeks for work (and beer) and will tell you what happened after two weeks :p

In the mean time, I'll start a new batch to be ready to botte when I'll be back home :)

You checked seven bottles within the first eight days after bottling?

It typically takes three weeks to carbonate. Sorry, but you just need to be more patient.

3 weeks at 21C or so is normal. They need to be warmer than 17C. Normal ferment temps don't apply after the beer's in the bottles. Save for the lower end of the temp range. They'll slow down or stall if the bottles are too cool.

Thanks! I moved the bottles, I'll tell you the results, when I'll be back in two weeks :) "moved to 20C"

Back