NJ Beer Mecca...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no, this is the mecca. :D

I have to make sure to only go there every couple of months or I would go broke(r) in a heartbeat.

Buy Rite just opened a location in Jersey City, where I work. The beer selection is amazing...almost a quarter of the massive store is filled with microbrews. There was one beer I discovered they didn't have though - Coney Island beer.

Well, Oak Tree Buy rite is unlike any other buy rite I've seen. The owner is a beer geek. They basically have all the beer that is available to them. They can't get Russian River because of distributor issues though ;-(

is it worth a hour drive? what are the top picks to get when making a trip?

anyone try homebrew trades?

It's a matter of perspective. If you like going home with beers you've probably never had before, it's worth the drive. Heck, we drive to Philly just to drink Russian River and Lost Abbey beers. Advice... set yourself a spending limit or bring cash so you don't put the owner's kids through college in one visit.

Glad you guys are aware of Oak Tree. I live about 20 min from it and can attest to it's greatness. If NJ carries it, they stock it. Simple as that. They even cut their massive sake collection to near nothing to fit in more beers from Europe and the UK this past fall.

It's a matter of perspective. If you like going home with beers you've probably never had before, it's worth the drive. Heck, we drive to Philly just to drink Russian River and Lost Abbey beers. Advice... set yourself a spending limit or bring cash so you don't put the owner's kids through college in one visit.

Bobby where in philly do you get russian river stuff?(Pliney & Blind pig)?

Oak Tree Buy Rite is pretty awesome. They do have a good selection. I generally to 3 places. Oak Tree, Marketplace Wines in East Brunswick and Gallo's in Aberdeen. Oak Tree is 20 mins from my office in Iselin and Marketplace is 5-10 mins from my house in Old Bridge.

All 3 stores you can go for broke. Great selections...

Bobby where in philly do you get russian river stuff?(Pliney & Blind pig)?

Monks Cafe is one place.

Side note. I just picked up some Duchess De Bourgogne, Lost Abbey Red Barn, and Port Brewing Hot Rocks at Abes in Bethlehem, PA today. Man, nice selection there that you can't get in NJ. I almost pulled the trigger on Lost Abbey Angel's Share but it was $32 for the 750ml. Too rich for me.

Monks Cafe is one place.

Side note. I just picked up some Duchess De Bourgogne, Lost Abbey Red Barn, and Port Brewing Hot Rocks at Abes in Bethlehem, PA today. Man, nice selection there that you can't get in NJ. I almost pulled the trigger on Lost Abbey Angel's Share but it was $32 for the 750ml. Too rich for me.
Abes is fantastic! My last trip there (lucky to have a sister inlaw who lives out there) i picked up some Fegley's Brew Works Hopsolutely and Russian River Damnation. Both were outstanding! Abe's is great. There's a better shop nearby, but i forget the name of it. Haven't yet gone though. It's supposed to be better than Abe's.

Is everyone watching the Oak Tree twitter? They sometimes post sales.

I've not been to Oaktree buy rite, but I did take about 10 minutes to look at their beer list online- AMAZING. For anyone near exit 109 on the GSP, the Buy rite near 35 and Newman Springs road is unbelievable. The entire depth of the warehouse is all refrigerated and is stocked 4 shelves deep of beer. In addition, there's equal distance of 3 tier room temp shelves stocked full as well. I'm just as bad there as I am in Coscto and Lowes.

I've not been to Oaktree buy rite, but I did take about 10 minutes to look at their beer list online- AMAZING. For anyone near exit 109 on the GSP, the Buy rite near 35 and Newman Springs road is unbelievable. The entire depth of the warehouse is all refrigerated and is stocked 4 shelves deep of beer. In addition, there's equal distance of 3 tier room temp shelves stocked full as well. I'm just as bad there as I am in Coscto and Lowes.
which BuyRite is this?? What's it next to? I don't know of a BR in that area. I will check it out tonight.

Doh- I confused the Buy Rite, which has the name Vingo on it. The place I meant was Spirits Unlimited which is next to the Volvo dealership on Newman Springs Road. Here's a google link in maps. Vngo however is great for discounts on champagne, but that's another discussion.

[ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&q=buy+rite+red+bank&fb=1&gl=us&hq=buy+rite&hnear=red+bank&cid=0,0,6071296489868506368&ei=gRRPS-vZLourlAfd3ZG3Cg&ved=0CAgQnwIwAA&ll=40.33808,-74.066329&spn=0,359.997229&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.338088,-74.066204&panoid=czuRVIXVU-SwRg1gKB-oaQ&cbp=12,333.16,,0,-10.47[/ame]

Doh- I confused the Buy Rite, which has the name Vingo on it. The place I meant was Spirits Unlimited which is next to the Volvo dealership on Newman Springs Road. Here's a google link in maps. Vngo however is great for discounts on champagne, but that's another discussion.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...zuRVIXVU-SwRg1gKB-oaQ&cbp=12,333.16,,0,-10.47
Oh yes, the Spirits there is pretty decent. Kind of sketchy selection at times IMO, but good in a pinch. I do stop in there as they usually have a ton of Blue Point products and i'm addicted to their RastafaRye; and at $3 a bomber i'm all over it!

I have to say though, that Vingo thing is AWFUL. Even worse is the Spirits near the A&P just down the road from there. Still selling Cricket Hill Lager from 2003 with the old labels with the beach scene. (yes, i bought them and drank them.)

Back