Nitrogen beer on the go

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pottergt

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I have a beer competition this fall and would like to enter a nitrogen poured beer.

The only problem is that the beer needs to be poured into pitchers first, and then the pitchers are passed down the table for everyone to blind taste test.

First off, if I go straight from a nitrogen keg to the pitchers and those to the judges, is that even worth it?

If so, can I draw it out another level and put it in a growler at home an hour or two before judging and then go to the pitchers and judges?

Ultimately I would prefer keg to judges glass, but has anyone done anything similar with positive results?

It will just be a low carbonated beer by the time it's served. You could recreate the creamy head by using the syringe trick. You suck up a bunch of the beer in a big syringe and squirt it very forcefully back into your glass/pitcher to break some of the co2 into tiny bubbles, simulating a sparkler. That's essentially what the Guinness widget is doing when you pop a can open.

It will just be a low carbonated beer by the time it's served. You could recreate the creamy head by using the syringe trick. You suck up a bunch of the beer in a big syringe and squirt it very forcefully back into your glass/pitcher to break some of the co2 into tiny bubbles, simulating a sparkler. That's essentially what the Guinness widget is doing when you pop a can open.

Fill the syringe/ flavor injector half air, half beer. Air= 78.1% nitrogen.

Well, nitrogen isn't important in this case, you just need the violent agitation to break out the co2. Nitrogen in a beergas setup is only used for the high pressure to overcome the restrictor sparkler plate, nitrogen doesn't actually dissolve into beer under normal serving conditions.

Guys,

Thank you.

I tried the syringe trick on a stout I had lying around and it worked better than expected. It seriously gave such a creamy head that lasted minutes! Thanks for the out of the box answers!

Back