NHC Entry Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerfreak

Reaction score
Trying to decide where to enter my Gluten-Free Pale Ale and thought I'd ask you guys. I can see it in American Pale Ale (10A), except that being gluten free (sorghum and honey base), the head is non-existent and, what little it has, dissipates quickly.

Thoughts?

Aren't we over do for an expansion of style guidelines? Pumpkin/Yam needs its own category for example. Gluten-Free is becoming more prevalent, so should have one. They expanded GABF styles, so I would think BJCP should be changing soon.

Enter it as a specialty. As an APA you might lose a couple of points for low head retention, the judges would be looking for a big malt taste to balance the hops. Lots of dry hops are needed to score high in American Pale Ale as well.

Better pay for an entry quickly. As of 7:15 pm Mountain Time over 70% of the entries are sold. Portland and SF entries are closed now. San Diego, Denver and Philly are close behind.

APA is a very tough category. Lack of head will kill your chances to go forward.

Doubt they will change BJCP categories in the near future. They have enough trouble certifying judges without changing or doing additions to the style categories.

Back