Next steps for NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aki

Reaction score
Hi all,

I finally bought kegging equipment to get rid of my oxidation issues with hoppy beers (thank you for the comments earlier this year).

Now the problem is that I have managed to brew one APA I was very happy with. All the others have been off; too bitter, off flavors, dark color, to name a few.. I am not sure what exactly went well with the APA.

I brewed my first neipa couple of weeks ago and let is sit at ~17 degrees celcius for 11 days. During SG reading at day 10/11 color was beautiful yellow and smell was good, then I cold crashed for couple of days at approx. 4C.

When I started kegging the beer was way too dark and taste was stale. I mean it's still OK to drink but not what I aimed for.

I cold crashed with fermenter not sealed so that probably is the issue.

Should I avoid cold crashing or is pressure fermenter necessary to brew good IPAs?

You are definitely going to want the ability to cold crash and closed transfer to your keg for this style. Not to mention all your other beers will improve as well. So yes a fermentation vessel that can receive enough pressure to cold crash, there are numerous ways to go about it depending on what fermenter you use.

If you don't have a pressure fermenter or can make sure your fermenter is well sealed when cold crashing, I suggest you cold crash your hoppy beers in the purged keg itself - especially NEIPA's. Make sure you purge it well.

I also feel that 11 days @ 17°C is kinda long - you can start increasing the temp when the beer is past about 75% of the expected attenuation, so you can stimulate the yeast to finish fermenting/getting rid of diacetyl without letting it flocculate. My last NEIPA (OG 1.065) stayed in the fermenter for only 6 days - with a full attenuation in 3 days, and no diacetyl noticed after the 5th.

The BrewHardware setup looks well made...and that is what Bobby sounds like, huh?

I have been using a similar setup using a mylar balloon based on inspiration from @LittleRiver's setup that is in this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/prevent-oxygen-during-cold-crash.662552/
I’ve only used it a couple of times so far, but it seems to work as advertised. I’m am tempted to just skip a step and fill the bag from my tank next time. Would require a little less planning that way.

Back