newby from the middle of nowhere in Montana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattler_mt

Reaction score
new to brewing. found this site when someone on a plant forum told me to search for Edwort's apfelwien :) mainly interested in brewing ciders and mead type brews. picked up a couple ale pales and such at my LHBS(which is roughly 300 miles away) planning on making a slightly modified version of Edworts apfelwien as i found the recipe after the trip out of town and being that ill be gone next weekend i would rather not wait another week to get it started as if it turns out really good i would like to let it age as much as possible and present some to my sister when she gets married in June so ill make due with the ale yeast i got that the LHBS guy recommended for hard apple cider. in the 2nd pail im going to make a apple-raspberry cider for my wife(to keep her happy :D )

as far as personal info......im 26, i work with my wife at a small town weekly newspaper in the middle of nowhere in northeast Montana. she runs the newspaper part as publisher, i work in the job shop printing posters, envelopes, letterheads, raffle tickets, most anything ppl want and do as lil writing as i can help. the paper isnt ours yet but should be turned over in our name in a few years. she is a 3rd generation newspaper publisher and im just along for the ride. we have been married for about a 2 and a half years, but have been serious for roughly 6 years. i have 2 stepdaughters ages 9 and 12. also have a 3 year old schipperke pup that is a royal pain in my rear but i love her anyway. aswell as an assortment of oddball critters like a toad, salamander, lil frogs from Madagascar, and hermit and fiddler crabs. my nick is one i use on lots of other forums(to keep me from getting confused) dates back to when i was serious into keeping snakes. a few years ago i had a number of pythons and boas(refused to keep venomous snakes around the young girls, though they were what i was most interested in) which i dont keep anymore as the rise in shipping prices have made getting food in the form of frozen mice and rats rather expensive.......had no interest in raising the stinking varmits myself so i sold my snakes.

we all enjoy hunting and fishing. i also grow orchids and carnivorous plants in my basement under fluorescent lights. my wife and i recently purchased a house and the yard was a complete mess, been in the process of tearing out the cottonwoods, chinese elms and lilacs everyone up here uses for landscaping and have been replacing them with fruit trees and bushes such as saskatoons and apples. also have started a large mixed raspberry patch, though it only has a few varieties so far, ill be adding more in the spring.

Welcome! Looks like UPS will get to know you a little better! If I don't feel the need to socialize at my LHBS, I order a lot of brew stuff on-line.
LHBS=300 mile drive! Agh!!:D

lol im used to living in the middle of nowhere.....born and raised up here on the hi-line all of 55 miles from the canuck border.............love it here though and get out of town enough that it is more than bearable :D

worthless.gif

varries........not much in the way of pics from around town but i do most of my hunting on the north side of Fort Peck Reservoir roughly 70 miles from my front door where my father in law has a cabin in the very east end of the Missouri River Breaks. where im at is out on the flats. at roughly 1900 feet..........its a 5-6 hour drive to any real mountains

south of town, near where my grandparents farmed up until 2000
IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

she is also an accomplished tree climber
Untitled-3346.jpg

my great uncles place northwest of town
Untitled-5-5.jpg

my oldest stepdaughter(right) and one of here frends with one of their finds from fall 2006
IMG_0258.jpg

my wife and her doe from the same year
IMG_0252-1.jpg

I'm guessing he was wanting pics of your set-up, but I like your choices better. Montana sure is pretty country! I lived in North Dakota for 5 years before moving to Arkansas. The trees here are nice, but can't beat the wide open spaces you find up there.

Welcome to the addiction and Cheers! :mug:

no setup pics yet......everything is just piled in the kitchen............will have pics of my setup the first part of the week................and im pretty sure he asked for the scenery pics :D

Welcome to HBT!
I'm also a brewing gardener. I've been into ciders myself the last few brews. You will definitely need to get to know your UPS man since you live in the middle of very beautiful now where. There are lots of good online resources so need to go without when all your brewing supplies are just a few clicks away.

What gardening forum do you frequent?

dont frequent a general gardening forum.....i frequent Terraforum which is a site dedicated to the carnivorous plants i grow in my basement. dont find alot of info for growing fruits and such in someplace like northeast Montana......have a rather extream climate so ive long since given up on anything but my own trial and error for outdoor gardening. especially the oddball fruit like hardy kiwis, mulberries, ect which im hoping like heck live through this, their first winter.........

When I was 8 or 9 I lived in Glendive for about 6 months and Savage for about 3. Don't remember much about it, except some of the great scenery.

Nice pics. Whereabouts in NE MT are you from? I live in Missoula (I know, us western montana city people) but I've spent some time out at Ft Peck and whatnot doing geology. Roommate lives 40miles +/- north of Ft. Benton...

Right on! Welcome to HBT, and gorgeous pics. My GF's from Missoula, so I got to spend some time there and up around Kalispell/GNP this summer. All I can say is WOW! Even for a guy raised in the CO Rockies, that was a sight to behold.

Prost!

Wow two new Montanas at the same time? What's going on here?

Welcome to HBT!
What part of NE Montana are you in. I'm down here in Miles City. Oh, and what LHBS did you go to? I know there's one in Billings, and one in Great Falls.

Btw, you make the 4th Montanan on here, that I know about; but we're all pretty spread out (like anything eles in this state).

Welcome again!

oh theres one in Great Falls? where abouts? ill be there on Thursday. i was at the one in Billings on Wednesday. im up in Wolf Point to be exact.

Back