Newby from NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pNesh

Reaction score
Hey All - Patrick from Raleigh, NC here. Just brewed my first batch of beer the same day we got hit with 20 some tornadoes (last Sat, 4-17). Luckily the big one missed my apt by about a mile and somehow I didn't lose power. Everything went pretty smoothly, had a slight boil over but I think it's because I was impatient and turned up the heat to get my hot break. Went off of a Pale Ale kit but then added more hops and changed up the timing, no clue what any anticipated gravity or IBU will be though. Just like hops and know I wanted more, did some research on flavorings and AA% but that's it.

I went with:
Simcoe - 1 oz @ 60
Cascase - .5 oz @ 30
Willamette - .5 oz @ 15
Amarillo - .5 oz @ 0

Going to move it to the secondary in another week or so and then dry hop with:
.5 oz of Simcoe
.5 oz of Willamette
.5 oz of Amarillo

This site has been great in my prep work, I felt as prepared as I could get for a first batch - so thanks to ALL. :mug:

Congrats on the first batch! Glad you dodged the Tornado! Hey, "Whirlwind Pale Ale" could be the name of your beer! lol

Just for fun, look up "late hop additions", if you like hop flavor then you will be on the right track!!

Good luck and keep on brewing!

Thanks Kevin. Tornadoes are pretty rare in NC so I think the cherry poppin' batch will be called "Tornado Day IPA". I have some picks and will update soon enough. Any suggestions/comments are much appreciated. First batch and didn't use a recipe so could be interesting.

And I love hops so I'll check out late additions for sure!

And a very big thanks to my boy "basisforaday" for the help on equipment, airlock trouble shooting for a lost piece and fine tuning of the "tornado day" recipe.

Hey broseph. I'm from Raleigh tooooo, so if you get bored later this summer we should swap some homebrews.

Those storms did a number on Fayetteville, Sanford, and Saunders Street. Glad you're ok.

Also in Raleigh but out in Johnston Co. Being from the midwest I thought I was moving away from the tornadoes, but apparently not. Glad you were able to still finish the brew, some folks were not as lucky that day.

I've been checking out this site for a while, but just signed up for the premium membership. For all the great info I've picked up here its a bargain.

Just bottled my 3rd batch last night and think the Irish Red will be pretty decent. Seems like there is a decent number of us here in the Raleigh area. Anybody have any interest in a local gathering to swap home brews? Any of you guys grow hops around here? I planted 12 rhizomes about 3 weeks ago, my first attempt at it.

Welcome!! We were missed my the tornado here in Jacksonville by about a 2 also. Pretty crazy stuff!!! Grats on your first brew also!!

Welcome to the obsession! There a lot of NC folks on the forum. I'm up in Wake Forest but would love to get together with other Homebrewers.

Take it easy and enjoy your first batch.

Chris

There is always the new American Brewmaster bar in downtown, I'm sure they wouldn't mind for the local brewers to meet up there. I'm shooting for my first batch to be ready Memorial Weekend but will probably start on a second as soon as I move into the secondary - maybe this weekend.

Hey guys, Im also in NC. Wake Forest/Youngsville area. Working on batch 2 now. First was a English brown ale which turned out great. Now working on a Sweetwater 420 clone recipe.

Here is my first IPA six weeks later. Turned out great, definitely a one of a kind beer.

image-3939198653.jpg

That beer looks like a great way to kick off the weekend. Can't wait to get out of this F-ing cube.

What kind of glass is that? Some kind of Pilsner+Shaker combo? Looks like it would tip over easily. Or maybe the photo is tweaked somehow?

If there's some kind of homebrewer meet up in the Raleigh area count me in!

Yeah that is just a pilsner glass but you can't see the bottom. Moving a Black IPA to the secondary tonight, really excited about this one. Don't know of any brewing meetups in the area but I could entertain the option.

Back