Newbie to all grain question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrl1775

Reaction score
First batch of all grain, I seem to of botched it pretty good but my question is whether I should pitch more yeast or just dry hop it and hope for the best.

It was a week yesterday, I checked the gravity and it was 1.030 from a 1.062. I had a slight bubble from it still going yesterday but it never really got rolling the whole week. Thoughts? I apologize if this should be in the beginner’s section. Thanks everyone!

Some more info would help a lot. What was your recipe? Did you check the viability of your yeast? What temp did you mash at? Did you verify the accuracy of the thermometer you used to check the mash temps? Did you do anything to keep tabs on your mash pH?

Fermentation temp and yeast?. Big beer did you use a starter?You can't go on airlock activity. It's only been a week, give it longer . Have patience and let it do its thing .

Some more info would help a lot. What was your recipe? Did you check the viability of your yeast? What temp did you mash at? Did you verify the accuracy of the thermometer you used to check the mash temps? Did you do anything to keep tabs on your mash pH?

It was awful lol. Mash ph after was 5.14. Yeast was fresh from the package imperial a04 barbarian. 19.5 pounds of grain 11 pale 2 row. I missed the efficiency mark for sure. My thermometer was off but was reading higher which I only discovered after which would explain me missing the temps. What’s in the fermenter still is sweet as of yesterday. Thanks!

Fermentation temp and yeast?. Big beer did you use a starter?You can't go on airlock activity. It's only been a week, give it longer . Have patience and let it do its thing .

I did not make a starter. Fermentation 68-70.

Dont think you need a starter with imperial and ferm temp is good . Mash and temp like Jr said. Give it some time another week or 2 then check. I bet it will be fine

Oops , sorry like parjay said lol

Last edited:
Let it roll. It's not over until you don't want to drink the beer and pour it out. The bubbles don't mean much, and you're down from 1.062 to 1.030, so it's fermenting for sure. Is there still some krausen? Has there been a drop in temp?

Let it roll. It's not over until you don't want to drink the beer and pour it out. The bubbles don't mean much, and you're down from 1.062 to 1.030, so it's fermenting for sure. Is there still some krausen? Has there been a drop in temp?

No krausen to speak of, I will have to check the temp.

Latest posts

Back