Newbie, take 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyRaven

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I used to make wine many years ago in college and for a while after. It's been about 30 years since then and I'm just getting started again with my first ever batch of mead. I've made fruit wines in the past, most often a dry apple wine.

While the mead is fermenting (just racked it to the carboy today) I also have two gallon containers of rice wine fermenting. I should get to sample the first one in another week.

Next up is my first try at making beer. I could use some advice (and a whole bunch of wisdom from the forums here) about what I should try to make. My biggest problem is that I can't stand bitterness in anything. I don't drink coffee for that reason, and I thought that my first taste of Guinness would kill me. (I know, I'm a wimp but that's just the way it is) The most perfect ale I've ever had was the original Red Hook red ale back when RedHook was just starting to sell their brews on tap in Seattle in the mid 80s. It was smooth and malty, somewhat sweet and I could drink it all day.

If you have recipes to suggest, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Todd Phillips
Marysville, WA

Welcome aboard, and +1 to what MaxStout said regarding the recipe section of the forum. I've been browsing over there looking for my next recipe.

Back