Newbie question around hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadensdad16

Reaction score
Hello new to the forum. Been doing a lot of reading and watching some videos here so I decided to join and get in on some discussion. I have bought a lot of equipment to start making beer and after watching many videos my question is why do some ppl just add the hops right into the boil as opposed to some who use baskets or the white hop bags? I don't see ppl straining out the hops before bottling. Does it break down and just settle to the bottom during fermentation?
Thanks in advance
Tim

It falls down to the bottom and hangs out with the dead yeast. most transfer the fermented beer to a secondary conditioning carboy leaving behind all the hops and yeast.

This is something that is a personal choice for each brewer. Some guys feel it makes their beer more clear to use a hop spider or other system to keep the hop residue out of their wort. Others feel their beer clears just fine without worrying about it. When you brew, if you notice your beer is just not as clear as you would like, one thing to try is a hop sack to keep the residue out. There are other things to try also. Personally, I don't have a problem just pitching them straight in.

Some also do it for an easier cleanup.

I've also heard of speculation on whether it impacts flavor, or fermentation. I haven't heard enough to convince me to stop pitching straight in. The hop particles just settle out in the fermenter.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great people and information on here.

It comes down to personal preference. Some people will say that using a basket or hop bag will cause a decrease in how well the hops are utilized. And others say that using the basket or bag will help keep their beer clear. I've tried both methods and haven't noticed much of a difference either way. I personally just throw the hops into the boil kettle most of the time. As long as you're careful when you rack to your primary, and leave behind most of the trub, it shouldn't be a problem. Any sediment that does make it into your fermenter will end up settling out during fermentation and conditioning.

I'd give it a shot both ways and see what works best for you.

Good luck.

Some feel bagging the hops lessens the flavor or bittering impact. You will also end up with more sediment. So you either lose beer or you have to compensate for the loss. You might also get a little clearer beer if bagged. Straining the wort going into primary after adding loose hops is a PITA.

The hops can be transferred to primary and will settle with time. Then when you rack to secondary, keg or bottling bucket, you siphon the beer off the top leaving the sediment behind.

I use bags so that I get a consistent volume when finished without doing any compensating.

I toss the hop pellets loose into the boil nowadays. I find it gives a bit more edge to the hop flavors. I still use sanitized muslin hop sacks for dry hopping though. And since I have buckets & a Cooper's Microbrew fermenters with wide openings,my large dual layer fine mesh strainer is fine. It not only gets the excess gunk out,but aerates the wort too. I get about 3/8" of trub & yeast at the bottom of primary come bottling day. More clear beer into the bottling bucket,giving some 53 12oz bottles.

Thanks guys for all the helpful replies. Giving the beer making process a shot in about two hours, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Tim

Latest posts

Back