Newbie hop utilization concern in double IPA partial boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjacobsen

Reaction score
Hey all, newbie here about to do my first brew tomorrow. I purchased an AHS double IPA extract kit. I realize this is kind of a big beer for my first brew, but I just get so excited about the style that I had to go for it.

Anyway, the kit instructions call for doing a partial boil starting with 3 gallons and then topping up to 5 1/4 in the fermenter. Partial boil would definitely be easier for me since I don't have an immersion chiller, but I have concerns about the max IBUs I'll be able to attain with this method, given what I think I understand from reading online and listening to podcasts. My understanding is that the max amount of IBUs in any solution is 100. Therefore if I end up with ~2.25 gallons of wort (after boiling) prior to topping off with another ~2.25 gallons, the max amount of IBUs I could have would be 50, which seems too low for this style. Is this assumption correct? If that ends up being the case I'm certainly open to trying a full boil and doing an ice bath with salt to lower the temperature of the water, or something else that could help me rapidly chill the wort. Any feedback or recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time. I've learned a lot just from reading this forum :)

I have one of the big enamel canning pots that would hold plenty of water for a full boil (not sure of the exact size [can check later] but definitely more than 5 gallons), I'm more worried about the chilling aspect if I do a full boil.

One thing you could do if your not happy with your hop IBU's is to do a secondary fermentation with hops in it. I would taste it every day after the second day of dry hopping. Just my two cents. I would do as close to the 5 gallon mark as I can if it was me (I'd actually do the whole thing but thats me with gear that is big enough).

Actually, I just checked, and it's 21.5 quarts which equals 5.375 gallons. So maybe that would be a little tight?

I have a second stockpot, and I'm not sure what its volume is, but definitely not much more than 3 gallons. Would it make sense to split the boil?

As an example,I do PB/PM BIAB in the same 5 gallon SS kettle I started with. My mash & sparge gives me 3.5 gallons boil volume. For IPA's,I use about .3oz warrior for bittering @ 60minutes. Then 3 or 4 1.2oz flavor additions @ 20,15 & 10 minutes left. Then dry hop 1 week with the remaining .8oz of each flavor hop after FG is reached & it settles out clear or slightly misty.
Doing 3.5 gallons in your kettle would be fine. I jkeep a couple of gallons of local spring water in the fridge a day or two before brewday. Chill the wort in an ice bath down to 75F,then strain into the FV to clean out gunk & aerate it more. Then top off to recipe volume with the chilled spring water. This usually gets it down to 64-65F.

Good info so far guys. Thank you. I did just realize that the 1 pound of LME (though probably not the specialty grains) would also add volume :). Is there any indication that splitting the boil would negatively impact me? I'm definitely tempted to boil with his much of the final volume as possible.

Yeah, unionrdr, that might be the easiest solution. Do you think there will be any concerns about chilling that volume without an immersion chiller?

No. I put the kettle in the sink & fill it with cold water till the water in the sink gets warm. Drain it,put the kettle back in & fill to the brim of the sink with ice. Then top that off with cold water. Add ice as needed till it gets down to 75F or so. I keepa couple gallons of water in the fridge a day or two before brewday. I strain the chilled wort into the fermenter & top off to recipe volume with the chilled water. It gets the temp down to 64-65F.

Latest posts

Back