Newbie cider maker - help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboy_t

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster here, so I shall start by saying 'HI!!' and thanks for all the help you have given me so far! I'm now on the hunt for some rather urgent, expert advice...

I am just about to bottle some pear cider. It's the first time I've ever tried it and have been essentially winging it until now, so I'm not sure it's going to turn out how I hope (doesn't look or taste as I thought it would...). Here's what I have done so far:
- 4 gallons of pear juice (home juiced 25kg pears),
- added 1kg sugar and 1 jar honey dissolved in 1.5 litres water,
- added red wine yeast (couldn't get anything else at the time),
- Fermented for just over a week (og = 1.07, fg = 1.00)
- racked off today and added finings to try and clear a little. The intent is to bottle timorrow and try in a few weeks, then see what happens.

Now, my question is - have I done this right, or should I have done something else/do something before bottling?

I've only ever brewed from kit and have never done cider before, so as above, this is a bit of a play/test more than anything, but if I could get something nice at the end, it'd give me a bar to raise next time!!

Thanks in advance.

(P.S - I'm hoping to achieve something sweet, almost Kopparberg-esque, if possible)

Do you want a still cider, or a carbonated cider?

At 1.000, it will be very dry, not sweet at all. Also, just because it is at 1.000, it does not mean it is done fermenting. It might go to 0.995, maybe 0.990.

A carbonated one would be better, but I think I've filtered out too much yeast in the quest for clarity so there may not be enough left for carbonation. A still one would be less preferrential, but as a tester, it'd definitely do!!

Edit - should have added that the gravity was stable for 2-3 days, so I'm relatively sure it's finished.

Unless you used a micro sterile filter you did not remove all the yeast.

If you want carbonated then add about 3.5oz of corn or regular sugar for the 4 gallon batch and bottle.

Back