Newbi grape growing in Kansas - What type grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew69er

Reaction score
I also posted this on Wine Making Talk

I'm a moderately experienced all grain homebrewer of beer. last November my wife and I purchased some acreage for a future home build and want to take a stab at grape growing / wine making. I am in Northeast Kansas west of Kansas City. I have ordered the following from Double A Vineyards in NY:

Wine grapes:
7 VINES OF CAYUGA WHITE
7 VINES OF SEYVAL BLANC
7 VINES OF STEVEN
7 VINES OF VIDAL BLANC

Juice grapes
3ea. CONCORD
3ea. NIAGARA

My order won't arrive till early March and I am think of expanding my order. Any suggestion of what other types of grapes or more of the above I should order?

I enjoy beer, don't drink wine but my wife likes German and California wines such as Rieslings. I understand it will take 2-3 years before we get any real grape production. So this will give us (me) time to develop our personal wine preferences but in the meantime I need to plant to.....any suggestions?

Also any suggestion on what type of apple trees to plant for future hard cider? Where to purchase apple trees for a reasonable cost?

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest you plant a reasonable number of vines close together, say 100 vines at 3 feet between vines and 6 feet between rows. That would give you about 100-150 bottles a year. It is easier to look after small vines than big ones and easier to get good wine you will be proud to serve to your friends. I don't know your climate but if it is warm enough and frost free in spring you would be best off with traditional varieties like chardonnay and sauvignon blanc, riesling if it is cooler.
Downy mildew is the biggest problem with grapevines, I spray with phosphorous acid and it works well.

Back