New Years Eve- Going out? Staying in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last couple of years we've been staying home. In 2005, the wife was pregnant with our first daughter, so she was out by 8 or 9 pm. I woke her up with a flute of ginger ale to toast the new year and that was that. The following 2 years, I cooked and we had my friend and his wife come over and we just drank at the house and we would crash my neighbor's house and vice versa. This year we went out for Thai and went back to the house to play Rockband until 11:50, and watched the underwhelming NYE coverage on the networks and were like, "OK, now what?". Wife is pregnant with our second daughter, so she was tired and sober and my friend's wife was the DD, so she wasn't drinking.

So him and I bought a 6 pack of Stone IPA and a bunch of bombers from Stone (Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout), Rogue (Santa's Private Reserve Pale Ale, Juniper Pale Ale), Sierra Nevada (Harvest), Southern Tier (Imperial Chocolate Stout, Imperial Extra Pale Ale) and Avery(Maharajaja(sp) IIPA).

I really didn't care for the Southern Tier Choco. It tasted like chocolate soda. Like a Tootsie pop. The Avery was ok, tasted like a typical IIPA to me, but it wasn't what I was in the mood for after the Stone and Sierra we were drinking). We were kind of fuddy duddies and didn't drink that much...

I also tried to make cannoli for the first time yesterday. I previously did a trial run of the filling and it came loose, so I had to cheese cloth strain the ricotta (rih-gut for the Jersey Eye-Talians). I started frying the shells, but our friends came over, so I caved in under pressure and said F it and I'll try and make them this morning before we go over my parents' house for dinner.

I went to a beer dinner at Monk's Cafe. My head almost exploded from the beer lineup, not to mention the food it was paired with...plus being able to enjoy it without a bunch of rowdy revelers was a treat.

I just drank an insane amount of pilsener and then went to a frat party, it was cancelled about an hour later though because someone we know had fallen off a roof and died. Lame!

I was in bed at 5.30 am, the earliest I've been to bed at newyears since years. I can't believe all you guys stay in! Here in Holland new years eve is HUGE!!! People spend many hundreds of euros on fireworks and alcohol.

After all the sage advice, I've decided to stay in this year. That way I can get up early and start on my resolution to quit procrastinating.

Stayed in, was still recovering from the flu i had last weekend... I had one bottle of hard cider and that was that... kinda quite

Cheers

Latest posts

Back