New Water Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck99

Wrecked Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got the LaMotte BrewLab water test kit in the mail today and took it for a spin. Wow, what a difference from the water I had in PA. I'm still going to send off a sample to Ward Labs to see how close my results are.

Na - 24.3
Ca - 4
Mg - 2.4
Sulfate - 0
Cl - 30
Total Hardness - 20
Bicarbonate - 36
Total Alk - 30
ph = 7.2

For comparison, here's the numbers from my PA water report from Ward Labs...

Na - 32
Ca - 97
Mg - 26
Sulfate - 7
Cl - 142
Total Hardness - 351
Bicarbonate - 229
Total Alk - 188
ph = 7.4

I wonder if this played a role in Sierra Nevada's decision to stick a brewery there? Do you get your water from the French Broad?

It's not bad water by any means. The main 'problem' is with the alkalinity which you will have to adjust for in some styles but we usually say that if the alkalinity is less than 1 mEq/L (50 ppm as CaCO3) the water is pretty good and you will be able to take care of it without much trouble. Chloride may be higher than some want for 'authentic' continental lagers but conversely many feel that somewhat higher chloride levels enhance the beers. If you are contemplating british beers you will have to augment calcium and sulfate but that's better than having to try to take them out.

Back