New uses for beer kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texmedic49

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post this up to see if anyone was as crazy as I am. I haven't been brewing lately, due to the heat, and found a new use for a keg.

So a guy that I work with gave me his 75 gallon saltwater tank and everything in it. I ended up using cornys and several Sankey kegs to move all of the water. I also scooped up the fish and plopped them right into a corny keg.

Figured you guys might get a kick out of this...

Wasn't there an older movie about a ski lodge, where some guy gets a live fish in his beer. He goes to complain about it and is told to keep quiet because everyone will want there beer that way...?

Well kids, this is how that stuff happens...

But cool deal on the inventiveness! enjoy your fish!

Maybe it's just my OCD kicking in, but I don't want to drink brew out of a keg that once had fish poop in it. When we moved to our new house we bought a couple large trash cans to transfer most of the aquarium water and fish. It was heavy and awkward, but not one fish died. This was freshwater though, not salt. I was able to top up about 15 gallons of conditioned tap water.

Maybe it's just my OCD kicking in, but I don't want to drink brew out of a keg that once had fish poop in it. When we moved to our new house we bought a couple large trash cans to transfer most of the aquarium water and fish. It was heavy and awkward, but not one fish died. This was freshwater though, not salt. I was able to top up about 15 gallons of conditioned tap water.

Sooooo, you NEVER drink water?

Ever?

Not in anything?

Just think of all the schools of fishes going toilet in ALL THAT LAKE WATER that serves as the base for soda, beer, coffee, tea, soup, boiled or steamed veggies,.......

Shall I go on? Or shal it suffice to say that just about anything can be cleaned well enough for human consumption?

Ever wonder where all that processed sewer water ends up?

Thirsty now?

:rolleyes:

sure I drink water, and I know that there is some amount of fish poop and other unspeakable nasties in it. I was simply saying that the first fishy or off tasting flavor or aroma would be blamed on the 'move' in my OCD mind.

Maybe it came off differently the first time I said it. I was not saying that it's not a good idea. I think it's a great idea in fact (a 5 gal corny weighs a lot less than those big garbage cans).

if it was a reef tank, and he had palythoas, there's an awfully good chance there's palytoxin in the water. Even at small amounts, I wouldn't put it near my brew stuff.

Sanitize those kegs before you use them. 5 gallon buckets are cheap. Ask anyone with a saltwater tank and they've got a couple of empty salt buckets around.

B

if it was a reef tank, and he had palythoas, there's an awfully good chance there's palytoxin in the water. Even at small amounts, I wouldn't put it near my brew stuff.

B

Nope, no zoanthids, just rock and fish. This poor guy didn't have a clue what he was doing, nor did he have the lights for even softies. I have already oxycleaned the hell out of them, giving each a flush of about 30 minutes with fresh water. I'm not terribly worried about it. Makes you wonder about all of the "I got sick from cleaning my tank" posts on the reefing sites. Thanks for the heads up though, I didn't think about that.

I would even go so far as filling each keg you used with boiling water and letting it sit for 15-20 minutes, just to make sure you kill everything. I'm overly cautious when it comes to my beer stuff.

B

The only thing that I can get my hands on that inactivates palytoxin is bleach. High molar concentration HCL will do the trick, but that is hard to get. I just might do the boiling water thing, just to be sure. Thanks again!

Btw wait till you see the buckets your salt is gonna come in... don't buy bags of salt buy buckets... you'll see :)

Palytoxins, are you kidding me?? This whole zoanthid thing has gone waaaay out of hand. Clean/Sanitize kegs as usual and enjoy.

Reef keeper for over ten years... palys give me a break.. I put mustard on em and eat em lol. Seriously fill with hot water add a half cup of bleach.. wait a day...fill with cold water.. leave a day rinse and ur more than good.
Just started brewing his year. Already obsessed. Took to it like a fish to water. These two hobbies are like the same hobby for two different senses.
oh yeah and think of switching to reef Crystal they have a screw on top with a rubber gasket.

Of course I used to keep freshwater FULLY planted discus tank. Which almost required co2 supplementation. Gatorade bottle with a pound of sugar and bakers yeast. With a tube running the gas into the canister filter. I was brewing 11 years ago and didn't even know it. Hahaha

oceanic + IO, works great, plus oceanic is at least a 6 gallon bucket which is sweet

Another thing I was thinking about is my refractometer...I mean I haven't used a hydrometer for my tank in years.. and I noticed a definate discrepancybetween what the plastic hydrometer said 1.021 and what the refractometer told me 1.0235. So thinking is this something that brewers use and could beanother dual purpose tool :)

I keep a keg full of starsan on standby for sanitizing my gear or doing a quick rinse of my beer lines.

Latest posts

Back