New to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coxcs

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum and looking for some basic instructions on legging versus bottling. Is priming necessary? What equipment will I need to do the job? What equipment will make it easier? Difference in keg styles etc

Thanks and happy brewing

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Some of the information links are dead but the basics are still there. The biggest thing for me was figuring out what I wanted. I had immediate space for two kegs. Knowing i wanted at least 3 taps, I knew converting the fridge that would only ever hold two kegs was a bad idea. I ended up going with picnic taps.

I learned that I can carbonate 3 ways; force carbonate, naturally carbonate (which I think meant priming sugar and letting it sit), or whatever you call carbonating slowly over time (1-2 weeks) at a lower pressure unlike force carbonating.

I knew that even with one keg system, I could buy more kegs and start letting my beer naturally carbonate so I could drink one keg, start another. So, you could buy one keg system but without knowing your storage situation, one can tell you what to actually buy. Remember, best to give information to get it when it comes to brewing or in this case, serving.

I also found pricing for things to be pretty standard. I ended up going with kegconnection.com and they earned my future business due to their attentiveness. I ended up paying just a bit more for a regulator and manifold knowing I wanted 3-4 taps soon enough so that all I needed to buy was a new manifold and additional lines. I did not go for the dual body which would allow me to carb at different pressures. In a way I wish I had now as I continue to read. I read a bunch but like most people, after ordering the ideas start flowing. I'm still going to be happy when I get my setup Thursday.

So read the sticky, google the terms in the links provided that are dead (ie: force carbonating), and you'll figure out a bunch. Come back here and explain your storage situation and get ideas on what you can do with it. Don't be afraid to ask for ideas and help.

I also know that if I have a leak, if I have a pour fest of foam, or if I have flat beer then I'm not alone and it has happened to the best of them. :)

Back