new to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choffon

Reaction score
im very new to kegging. Is there a timeline from when u rack to the keg to when u can start carbing the beer

just limited by how fast you can hook up the gas. Seriously though, depending on the beer some are better young, some aged, but all can be carbed as soon as they are in the corny.

I will be kegging my first batch today. It's an APA so I don't think it will need to be aged too long. I figure I'll hit it with 20 psi for a few days and lower it back to 12 and wait a week. Should be ready by then.

If you need to age it a bit, just putting serving psi on it for a few weeks will get you the age and carb levels you need at the same time.
You can force carb it more quickly, but then you'll be more tempted to 'sample' the young beer. Don't ask me how I know this...

When I have kegged a batch I give it a quick shot of CO2 to make sure the seal is intact. So in a way, the time frame for that is right away. Otherwise, pressure it up how and when you'd like and have it in a few weeks or later.

B

Back