• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

New to home brew and looking for supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milworm1

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have recently crossed over to home brewing and I have a few supples already but I'm in need if a few essentials and hopping someone here can spare some.

I'm looking for 2-3 glass Carboys 5 gallon and few pin lock corny kegs.

I'm in the northern Virginia area and willing to travel if price is right.

Please let me know of you have anything thing else you may want to spare.

Thank you.

I have plenty of 5 gal carboys I do not use. I think I have 4. $20 each would be fine with me and I'll include the orange rubber lids that the airlock fits into. 3 of the carboys have the handles attached(These are only meant for carrying the carboy empty) I also have an extra 10 or 15 gal pot along with some other goodies. I'm in Frederick county about 5 miles off the Urbana exit on I270. PM me your number and I'll give you mine if you are interested.

Thanks Bigeavk, but I got one on CL last week and picking up two more tonight so I think three will do me for now or I would get a few from you. Thanks for replying

If you're brewing 5 gallon batches, 5 gallon carboys would not be ideal. 6 gallon are ok, but 6.5 to 7 gallon carboys would be much better.

You'll have nothing but headaches with 5 gallon carboys. I use the one I have to store Starsan. Best use for it...

Ok, let's now get into the glass vs plastic carboy debate.

NO GLASS unless you enjoy hospital visits......

5 gallon carboys are mostly good for secondary only.... I rarely do a secondary... Research this....

Thanks for replies. I'm mainly going to be doing ciders so I'm going to use the 5g Carboys for second fermentation.

Back