New to cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zproducer

Reaction score
I've been brewing beer for many years, and I am now thinking about trying a hard cider. I've only ever had store bought stuff, and I do like the Woodchuck brand, as (to me) it has some beer characteristics. Does anyone have a recipe that resembles woodchucks that they would be willing to pass on, I was thinking of just using some apple juice and some light DME with a nice ale yeast and see what happens. Also, I'm concerned about bottling, I would like some carbonation but I'm worried about exploding bottles. If I bottle with corn sugar (like beer) after the fermentation subsides will I be OK?

Woodchuck's flavor is a result of the blend of apples they use & they ain't talk'n! Bottle just like ale, but remember a straight cider will finish under 1.000.

David,
Thanks for the advice, you've eased my mind about botteling. With the Woodchucks, I'm not necessarily wanting to copy the flavor, but more the character - I don’t want it to be like a sparkling apple wine, but more like an apple beer. Also, what do you mean by "straight cider?"

Back