New to Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Ward

Reaction score
I am building a lake home and adding basement room for my brewing pleasure. I don’t plan to be ready to brew until late 2019 but want to make sure I have fully prepared myself. I want to start off with a full system but not sure which one to get or how to set up this brew room as of yet so looking for advice on that. Room size will be 12 by 12, a drain in the floor filtered water system and sink for cleaning, vented for the fumes/steam. Glass windows to admire my mistakes or achievements. Questions:

1. Is there an online college style course I can take to help with learning?
2. I want a brew system for over 20 gallons and want it to do everything with controller, suggestions? Willing to put the money into it.
3. Setting up the room correctly?
4. Best books to buy?

Thanks in advance and very sorry if I am repeating others at this time!!

Have you ever brewed a beer?

You need to learn a little bit about extract, steeping, partial mash, all-grain, before deciding which way to go.

Brewing 5 gallons is fairly 'simple', in that you can actually carry the brew, but once you get to 10+ gallons you have to think about different ways of transferring beer. 10 gallons of beer weights over 80 lbs; not something you can carry.

I think you need to learn some of the basics before moving to a full scale production, otherwise you will end up producing 20 gallons of crap beer. Obviously you can afford to toss several batches of crap beer, but at 20 gallons a time, that can get expensive.

My advice is start brewing a few 5 gallon batches in buckets, learn some about handling yeast, and fermentation, before going all-in on your equipment.

First of all, welcome to HBT. Just curious, what lake are you building on? I have a fishing cabin at Lake of the Ozarks (central Missouri). Been spending a lot of time there since I retired.

I agree with @Calder. Learn to crawl first. You may find that home brewing is not for you. Try a few extract batches and learn the process.

Since you'll be brewing indoors, think about going electric. No fumes from the burner to be concerned about.

The Brewers Association has several schools listed on their website. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ganizations/&usg=AOvVaw3W1g9obMfuchtiCfKPIHx9

IMHO the best book to start out with is, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BATINQ8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress. Cheers!

I agree with the others. Baby steps. You might go whole hog into a fully electric 20 gallon system then decide that 1) you don't like to brew 2) 20 gallons is way too much. I prefer to brew more often in 5 gallon batches and have several choices on hand.

If you are trying to get everything into one room and do 20 gallon batches. Unless you finish off one batch before starting the next, 12 x 12 might be on the small side.

20 gallons is alot for starting out, especially if you plan on drinking most of it by yourself. I've got a 5 gallon system with four fermenters and 5 taps. I brew 2-4 times a month which I feel is great for experience and experimenting, but between events with friends, submitting beers to comps, and gifting bottles I still struggle to not have an excess of beer. I would endorse going all out on quality equipment if you're serious about brewing but I would consider doing smaller batch sizes.

Welcome to HBT.
How to Brew by Palmer is another really good book. The first edition is on-line. The paper version is up to the fourth edition - probably worthwhile.

Have you ever brewed a beer?

You need to learn a little bit about extract, steeping, partial mash, all-grain, before deciding which way to go.

Brewing 5 gallons is fairly 'simple', in that you can actually carry the brew, but once you get to 10+ gallons you have to think about different ways of transferring beer. 10 gallons of beer weights over 80 lbs; not something you can carry.

I think you need to learn some of the basics before moving to a full scale production, otherwise you will end up producing 20 gallons of crap beer. Obviously you can afford to toss several batches of crap beer, but at 20 gallons a time, that can get expensive.

My advice is start brewing a few 5 gallon batches in buckets, learn some about handling yeast, and fermentation, before going all-in on your equipment.

THank you for the information and after careful thought this weekend will go ahead and order a starter kit...thinking ‘premium home brew’. I have no doubt that I will like brewing! THank you so much for your advice!

First of all, welcome to HBT. Just curious, what lake are you building on? I have a fishing cabin at Lake of the Ozarks (central Missouri). Been spending a lot of time there since I retired.

I agree with @Calder. Learn to crawl first. You may find that home brewing is not for you. Try a few extract batches and learn the process.
I agree with the others. Baby steps. You might go whole hog into a fully electric 20 gallon system then decide that 1) you don't like to brew 2) 20 gallons is way too much. I prefer to brew more often in 5 gallon batches and have several choices on hand.

If you are trying to get everything into one room and do 20 gallon batches. Unless you finish off one batch before starting the next, 12 x 12 might be on the small side.

Since you'll be brewing indoors, think about going electric. No fumes from the burner to be concerned about.

The Brewers Association has several schools listed on their website. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjxtOKG0LjeAhUMQq0KHa0HCIAQFjACegQIARAB&url=https://www.brewersassociation.org/resources/schools-organizations/&usg=AOvVaw3W1g9obMfuchtiCfKPIHx9

IMHO the best book to start out with is, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BATINQ8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress. Cheers!

We are building on Lake Guntersville (Tennessee River) in Scottsboro, Alabama. Plans are in finishing stage as with start projected for January

Thank you to all. I will start small and build from there. The room for brewing is already put in the plans and will be about 13x 14 no, venting with a floor drain and separate heating/cooling system. Not set to be done til late August so I have time to crawl! My wife states that she will use it as a location for her to build her tables if I decide against the brew room. I just smile and say small chance you get my only room in the house...

Again, thanks for the information, studies book advice and thank you for welcoming me here!!

Welcome to HBT.
How to Brew by Palmer is another really good book. The first edition is on-line. The paper version is up to the fourth edition - probably worthwhile.

I started the online version of this book and will pick up the latest addition. Thanks!

Scott, welcome to HBT!
As you build your cabin, you are in the envious position of creating your dream brewroom from scratch.
I created my build from Kal's "the electric brewery"
www.theelectricbrewery.com,
Here is a link that describes his basement build:
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25593
There are other resources for planning a basement brewhouse build.
You have a full year to plan what you want and how you want it.
It's not too early to start the process.
In the meantime, you might tinker with some extract kits to get started, but if you know you want to brew beer, I would not advise purchasing a lot of equipment that does not fit with your ultimate goal and system build.
The learning process is the same regardless of what system you're working with.
Dive in and go for it.

Back