New to brewing, topped off my carboy, fermentation almost stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kindrox

Reaction score
I got a Mr. Beer for Christmas and experienced the problem of drinking the beer faster than I could brew it. So Saturday I got a 6.5 gallon carboy and a dark brew, 6 gallon Munson beer kit (can + yeast). I sterilized the carboy, boiled 3 pounds of DME for about 10 minutes then added the HME. I pitched the yeast about an hour later.

I was leary of putting 6 gallons of liquid in the carboy since I didn't know what to expect for foam production, so I only added water to the 5 gallon mark. Yesterday morning (48 hours later) the foam was not that high so it looked like I could add the last gallon of spring water, and I did.

It is like I put cold water on a fire. Gas production has dropped to like 5% of what it was. The carboy is as cold as the spring water containers in the same room (high 60's).

I have noticed that durring the active fermentation stage the bottles are warmer than the containers of spring water in the same room (I have brewed some 1 and 2.5 gallon containers recently). Did I cold shock the yeast when I added the spring water? Will they snap out of it or should I take the carboy to a warmer room until things get going again?

How cold was the spring water? If it was room temp your yeast are probably fine. It would not hurt to swirl the fermenter and bring it into a room that is near 70 F until you see action restart.

The water was in a 5 gallon jug in the same room, so in the high 60's. The jug feels colder to the touch than the jars with active fermentation in the same room.

I suspect if you just leave it be at the right temp it will complete the fermentation without a problem if you give it time.

Back