New rhizomes dead? Miracle grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBC

Reaction score
About 6 weeks ago I planted 4 hop plants 3 Cascades and 1 stirling and only the 1 Sterling came up. I think that maybe the Cascades were too old? I kept watering and have them in hills to promote draining. Anyone have any tips on the Cascades, I think they are DOA?

Is miricle grow good for hops?

About 6 weeks ago I planted 4 hop plants 3 Cascades and 1 stirling and only the 1 Sterling came up. I think that maybe the Cascades were too old? I kept watering and have them in hills to promote draining. Anyone have any tips on the Cascades, I think they are DOA?

Is miricle grow good for hops?

Might need Lazarus-grow for the cascades.....

:DSorry, couldn't pass it up.

Six weeks and no action from three Cascades? I think you've got a curse going or termites. I don't normally advocate digging up a rhizome, but at this point you have nothing to lose.

I use Miracle Grow and rose food on my hops, as my soil is deficient in everything.

The Sterling is growing great so I don't think the soil is bad. I used Miracle potting soil mixed in with the soil when I planted to give them a good start. I think I will carefully dig down and see if there is anything going on with the Cascades (roots or sprouting buds). This is dissapointing to say the least as I can not get any more rhizomes until next year. :(

I received 2 rhizomes as replacement for a couple that had a strange fungus-looking stuff on them. Anyway, one of the replacements had white bumps on them, and took right off. The other one looked like a dead stick and after several weeks of sitting there, has finally broken through the ground and is growing. I'd leave it. The sprouts can be delicate.

Dead sticks is what I have too. I see no rootlets or anything. Oh well....

I bought Cascade, Chinook, and Willamette. The Cascade is blowing the Willamette away in growth the Chinook never grew so I pulled it because it was just rotting in the ground.

Back