New Kegerator Haier 4.5 cu ft HC46SF10SB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbieOByrne

Reaction score
So I bought a Haier HC46SF10SB 4.5 cu ft for $148 at Wal-Mart. It was a killer deal, couldn't resist. And since I'm in the need for some keg cooling...

The first problem I ran into was how to get the door panels off, there were no screws...

The screws are usually tucked under the magnetic seal. You need to peel/stretch the rubber seal back a bit to find them. Guessing, I don't have this exact model.

If it isn't screwed, the plastic is probably thin enough you can cut it out with a utility knife, especially if you heat it with a hairdryer.

I thought the same thing about the killer deal. My concern like everyone else when doing a conversion is that the refrigerant cooling lines might run through the top which makes it harder to install a tower. Have you had any problems finding a clear spot to drill a hole?

Any luck on this fridge? im about to pull the trigger on it myself and am curious if it will hold two corneys and a co2 tank

I'm getting ready to start the project in about an hour. I won't know about the corneys tonight because they're at my friends house. I'll update when I know.

I'm also very interested in the corny keg fit. I'm looking to convert a mini fridge but all the classic models which are easy to convert seem to no longer be in production! This one looks really good, assuming I can get 2 cornys in there. Please let us know what you find out, and also if you use ball or pin.

It is a tight configuration, but you can fit two cornys in the front with the 5 lb tank on the hump. The door just barely shuts. I doubt it would work well if you used pin lock kegs. The ball locks barely fit as is. You might be able to cut up some of the insulation on the door if you needed a little more space though.

View attachment 1424056775388.jpg

Wow that looks great! Excellent find! I think I will go ahead with the purchase myself. I'm assuming you had to cut shelving on the door so it closed. Can you send a picture of that? Do you think there will be any issue with the door's seal in the future if it's such a tight fit?

I don't think the seal will be much of an issue. I didn't have to cut out all that much foam to get them to fit. I really only trimmed the foam enough to make it flush and look halfway decent. I'd like to install a dry erase board on the inside to write on but that's a project for another day.

View attachment 1424152723783.jpg

Did you have any issues with the thermostat? The compressor just seems to keep running in mine. Where did you stick the little thermostat wire to keep it from getting too cold? I set mine at 1 and my thermometer read 19 degrees from the bottom of the fridge. Might have just been a fluke since cold air drops, so i put it on top of the corny and it read 32 degrees this morning and it was still running. I switched it to zero then back to 1 and the compressor is off right now but I am just worried I am keeping the thermostat wire in the wrong place

Did you have any issues with the thermostat? The compressor just seems to keep running in mine. Where did you stick the little thermostat wire to keep it from getting too cold? I set mine at 1 and my thermometer read 19 degrees from the bottom of the fridge. Might have just been a fluke since cold air drops, so i put it on top of the corny and it read 32 degrees this morning and it was still running. I switched it to zero then back to 1 and the compressor is off right now but I am just worried I am keeping the thermostat wire in the wrong place

I'd put it on a temp controller like the STC-1000 and call it a day. Looking at building one of these - thanks for posting!

Hi there, looks pretty good! How did you end up getting rid of the door shelving?

Sorry for the late reply. I had to use my dremel to remove the door panel.

You have to use the temp controller or your beer will freeze. My beer really did freeze, really...

Its a tight fit, but it works great!

Highly recommended on a budget!

Where did you put the temp controller thermostat?

I tried several different spots when relocating the temperature probe but found that if you tuck the probe between the freezer unit and the wall of the fridge, it holds a low, consistent temperature. On the 1 setting I keep the fridge a constant 35 degrees. I'm happy enough with the setup that I don't feel the need to buy a temperature regulator.

Sorry to revive an old thread but wondering if you could tell me where you drilled for the tower? I just picked up this fridge and am leary about drilling.

Sorry to revive an old thread but wondering if you could tell me where you drilled for the tower? I just picked up this fridge and am leary about drilling.
Just built one using this fridge, and like OP I drilled the hole centered 13 inches from the front of the fridge (while the door is open). For me, bending the freezer shelf down to place it along the back wall was the hardest part. There didn't appear to be any cooling lines on the top of the fridge, so that made the drilling and securing of the tower really easy. Just barely tall enough to fit one sixtel with a D-coupler. I may buy an elbow connector for the top of the coupler, as the line has to make an abrupt 90-degree turn out of the setup when using a sixtel.

Anyway--I still recommend this mini fridge for a budget conversion. Got the fridge for 129 at JCPenney, oddly enough.

I just did this conversion the other day. Drill center of hole 13 inches from the front of the open fridge. I didn't encounter any cooling lines on the top of the fridge. Definitely want tower far enough back to avoid the bolts hitting the top of the kegs.

Hey everyone, I was drilling into my haier HC46SF10SB at 13inches from the front (door open), as suggested, and when drilling the last flange hole (upper left) I must have hit a wire or something, because there were sparks and then the fridge shut off. It definitely wasn't a coolant line and I hadn't heard of wires in the top, so I was certainly surprised (and frustrated at having hit something at the last hole). Does anyone have any idea what I might have hit and if it can be repaired?

Also PSA to anyone reading this and looking to convert this model to be careful even at the recommended 13inch position.

Back