New Kegerator build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmmuellr

Reaction score
My old kegerator is on its last leg, so thanks to some friends of mine I have a GE TBX25Z in my garage that I'll be drilling in to. This is a standard, freezer on top fridge from likely the mid-late eighties.

Does anyone know if there are any refrigerant lines in the side walls of this model fridge? I assume not, but wanted to ask.

Thanks!
Kevin

I drilled a small hole first, then probed around with a nail to see if there was anything there besides insulation.

I have to tell ya, I think there is a whole lot of hooey going around about lines on the sides of fridges. From posting after posting you read about all this concern about the possibility of lines in the sides of old fridges. It all ends up being for nothing.

So the next post, some guy who wants to stand on his soapbox will tell about a situation where there was a line in the side of a fridge. And of course, I did take precautions myself. But 9 times out of 10, all the lines run up the back of the fridge (from what I've read in a zillion posts).

Back