New keezer vs. new fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
Guys,

I will do some searching but I wanted to get a quick check from people too:

I currently have a 7.4cu keezer that will hold 3 kegs plus a 5lb cylinder. no collar.

SWMBO is getting me an upgrade for my birthday so I can run all 5 kegs, and both a 5lb and 10lb cylinder (so I can dispense different co2 volumes). I already own the kegs, cylinders, regulators and gas distributors.

The problem: I figured I'd go find a 10-ish cubic foot chest freezer to give me the room, and probably collar it this winter so I can run real draft taps.

Apparently chest freezers go from 8cu to 14cu, and that's just way too huge.

Is it possible to fit 5 cornies in a top-mount refridgerator? if so, how many cubic feet should I look for?

Or do you think I can get by with 8.8cu and putting the cylinders on the compressor hump once I build a collar tall enough?

I need feedback because she and her mother are going shopping for one tomorrow at the used appliance stores.

Thanks guys! :tank:

I'm a little surprised you can only get 3 kegs in your current freezer. But maybe that's because of your tank. I have the same size and easily fit 4 kegs, but my tank sits outside the freezer.

Just get the 14cu chest freezer, all the space you'd need.

FWIW I just bought one off craigslist, I paid more than I wanted to, but it was listed as an 8.8cu and it was actually a 14cu.

I plan to use it as a fermentation chamber, but you could fit at least 6 cornies in there (maybe more) with a 5lb tank on the hump, and maybe even a 10lb on the floor.

I'm a little surprised you can only get 3 kegs in your current freezer. But maybe that's because of your tank. I have the same size and easily fit 4 kegs, but my tank sits outside the freezer.

Mine too, I have a keg sitting on the compressor hump. I did have to make the collar a little taller to accommodate it. Malkore will the 8cf freezer fit 5 kegs if your CO2 tank(s) is outside?

GT

No kegs on the hump. Maybe I have a bigger freezer than I thought. Only thing sitting on the hump is a bucket of damprid. Hm....I'll have to check that out...

But if you can swing it malkore, go with the 14cu/ft. You'll fill it pretty quick. With Kegs or other items.

My current keezer has no collar, so the cylinder sits on the bottom. I don't quite have the space for 4 if the CO2 was on the hump or external though. its sooo close though.

maybe they'll find an oddball sized offbrand freezer that's 12 cu or something.

Another thing you might consider is doing away with having 2 tanks in there and just get a secondary reg for the lower PSI kegs.

if you want 5 kegs, a 5lb and a 10lb tank i would go with the 14cf. you can find 9 cf that should certainly fit 5 kegs and a tank (collar might be necessary depending). But it is up to you to weigh the costs vs size. you could also use the 10lbs tank with a secondary and keep the 5lb on reserve, if you run out at a bad time.

Latest posts

Back