new home brew supply distributors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, I would assume that if you got a business license and used your home address then that would count as a brink-n-mortar... I believe you'd just need a business license and a tax i.d.; why would any distributor care?

well, I would assume that if you got a business license and used your home address then that would count as a brink-n-mortar... I believe you'd just need a business license and a tax i.d.; why would any distributor care?

L.D. Carlson only sells to companies with retail real estate. This is actually pretty common in wholesale. Generally, the thinking is to keep end consumers from setting up "stores" just to bypass the usual channels of purchase.

L.D. Carlson only sells to companies with retail real estate. This is actually pretty common in wholesale. Generally, the thinking is to keep end consumers from setting up "stores" just to bypass the usual channels of purchase.

Farmhouse Brewing went from home business to "click and mortar" somehow. Not sure how he got away with it, but a true American Dream story. I would have to agree with your statement, because for a small amount of money anyone could run to the court house and file all the docs needed. The only thing to watch out for is the tax ID, as you know, if you use a Tax ID, that has to be for resale and not personal use.

If you are a rrrreeeeeeaaaaaaalllllll good customer of a brewpub and you are tight with the brewer, you might piggy-back on his order.

If you are a rrrreeeeeeaaaaaaalllllll good customer of a brewpub and you are tight with the brewer, you might piggy-back on his order.

Though as Gear101 correctly points out, this is actually tax fraud unless the brewpub charges you sales tax, which you wouldn't want if your plan was to resell yourself.

I see many taxes as a fraud...just my .02.

Some distributors such as LD Carlson or Crosby & Baker will not sell some homebrewing specific items to brewpubs for this very reason. They will only sell ingredients in appreciable quantities. Brewpub brewer wants a raking cane or airlock? He has to go his LHBS.

That depends on your local laws. For grain and yeast in MN, its considered food, so that isn't taxed. All the other items at the LHBS are taxable though.

Back